Chips (Fries) with...?

That's the Canadian dish, isn't it. I've never made it either. I think @Rocklobster (who hasn't been seen here for a while :() has it on his diner menu in Canada.

It’s been gaining popularity here. I’ve had it a couple of times. Once it was good, the other time not so much.

Gravy (mostly instant) is a common thing to serve with hot chips here & chicken salt has been massively popular since the 1990’s. The bright yellow kind is the best.

“Loaded” fries are huge in Sydney now. Cheese & bacon is common. Cheese, bacon & gravy.

I’m a fan of super crunchy fries and will often ask for my chips to be fried a little longer than whatever is usual, so I’m not keen on toppings as the create sogginess. Same goes for takeaway. I prefer to eat them from a plate in a shop or restaurant than have them wrapped up.

I introduced my meat loving partner to the “snack pack” recently. Kebab meat (shawarma) on top of chips with gravy (on the side) and hot chilli sauce.

At home chips are served up with tomato sauce (ketchup) or bbq sauce (yuck) or whole egg mayo.

I absolutely LOVE proper mushy peas, ideally with mint sauce (but vinegar will do if mint sauce isn't available), in fact I had some last night. But I also like posh mushy peas - when I make them I blitz the garden peas with a bit of creme fraiche and fresh mint (or mint sauce).

Yorkshire "Chop Sauce" is prominent on my signature dish..........

signature dish.jpg

Either cod, fish cakes or steak and kidney pie.

I used to order cod, (Yorkshire) fish cakes and chips at our local chippy in Leeds but I've not cooked and eaten fish cakes together with chips here. I suppose that once the batter is made. it's easier to cook (Yorkshire) scallops as an accompaniment to the fishcakes (or fish).

Yorkshire fishcakes with Yorkshire scallops, mushy peas and a few scraps.....

upload_2019-5-18_18-13-31.png

I don't understand what this is...

It’s basically a salty chicken stock powder, it’s bright yellow & a touch sweet. Probably full of nasty stuff I wouldn’t normally consume but it’s fantastic on hot chips.

The ones that are retail available aren’t right.

We were on good terms with the people who owned our local takeaway so I could ask him to order in a box for me but now I have to wait until I get to a spice wholesaler & buy proper chicken salt that is sold into commercial kitchens & takeaways.

If we run out I use Massel brand chicken stock powder - instead of peeling back the foil seal I poke tiny holes with a skewer so it’s easy to apply to potato gems (tots).

Last edited:
It’s basically a salty chicken stock powder, it’s bright yellow & a touch sweet. Probably full of nasty stuff I wouldn’t normally consume but it’s fantastic on hot chips.

The ones that are retail available aren’t right.

We were on good terms with the people who owned our local takeaway so I could ask him to order in a box for me but now I have to wait until I get to a spice wholesaler & buy proper chicken salt that is sold into commercial kitchens & takeaways.

If we run out I use Massel brand chicken stock powder - instead of peeling back the foil seal I poke tiny holes with a skewer so it’s easy to apply to potato gems (tots).

Ah - so the one I pictured above isn't 'proper' chicken salt?

Back
Top Bottom