Recipe Chocolate Chip Traybake.

So, are you using actual butter or margarine?
It's actually been a while since I last made it but I'd guess at butter.
I may try it again I'm the next week or so and use some of the advice here. I might use the Stork baking margarine stuff?

So, are you using actual butter or margarine?
I may try it again I'm the next week or so and use some of the advice here. I might use the Stork baking margarine stuff
Another question...you said you find this on the internet. Would you mind posting a link that as well?

I'll try to find it again or the book I originally got it from. Off for a bit now as off to 80th party

As I understand it bicarb needs acid in order to make a cake rise. Baking powder contains the acid as well. There is no acid in this recipe. Maybe substitute baking powder for the bicarb?

I may try it again I'm the next week or so and use some of the advice here. I might use the Stork baking margarine stuff

Butter and margarine will give you the same basic results. Shortening will give you more "rise" from the finished product. You won't see any difference in the dough.

CD

Another question...you said you find this on the internet. Would you mind posting a link that as well?
Found it. Here you go.

Whoops, I'll try that again.

Recipes - Chocolate Chip Traybake Recipe

As mentioned this recipe has the same mitsake of gas mark 2 = 190°C. So I suspect that they've just lifted the recipe from the book without even trying it out!

Last edited:
As I understand it bicarb needs acid in order to make a cake rise. Baking powder contains the acid as well. There is no acid in this recipe. Maybe substitute baking powder for the bicarb?
I'm day off Wednesday and Thursday so I may try this suggestion then in between looking after Mrs Wyshiepoo. (She's having her radius shortened.)

It would actually fit with what happens, the traybake initially rises quite impressively but then subsides almost as quickly.

Question, how much baking powder is suggested as I believe it is less active than soda? Perhaps 1 to 2 tsp?

Last edited:
Found it. Here you go.

Whoops, I'll try that again.

Recipes - Chocolate Chip Traybake Recipe

As mentioned this recipe has the same mitsake of gas mark 2 = 190°C. So I suspect that they've just lifted the recipe from the book without even trying it out!
I may give this a shot. I did look at other recipes, and they all say 180C, so I'll originally start with the 190C and see how it goes.

Well, I looked at the link. Given there is an obvious math mistake with a 25x25 cm pan being listed as 12 inches square, when 2.5 cm equals an inch more or less, thus should be 10, that makes the whole recipe suspect in my eyes.

I looked at a blondie recipe I'm pretty sure my DGD made when I brought everything else for a fondue lunch with her, my DD and the other DGD, and it uses 250 grams flour for a 13 x9 pan. Given that an 8x8 pan is just a little over half the volume comparatively, I'd use that size of pan.

I also think 1 tsp baking powder may be a bit too much. The recipe for the 13x9 pan uses 1 tsp, so...

I just put a batch of this in the oven. Used a very slightly rounded 1/2 tsp of baking powder. I didn't have any dark chocolate chips so cut up block chocolate. I used a round glass pie pan that I think is 8 inches, though could be 9, will have to wait until later to check. I just wanted to not be square. :laugh:

Fresh out of the oven.

After it cooled for about 20 minutes. It fell a little, but no more than what you would expect from a blondie/brownie.

Back
Top Bottom