Recipe Chocolate Quinoa Porridge with Allspice & Cinnamon

Amateur1

Local time
9:15 AM
0.5 tsp of Allspice with 0.25 tsp of cinnamon is good. I wasn't so keen on cardamom or cumin, but may try black pepper.
Would you leave the cloves as they are or grind them? At what point would I add them to the recipe?
I have some mace leaves which don't grind well. When should I add them?
I have ground nutmeg and ground coriander.

Breakfast porridge - 50g of porridge oats in milk and water plus 0.25 tsp of salt.
Breakfast buckwheat 62g of buckwheat with 1 tbsp of tahina, 1 tbsp of tamari source and 0.25 tsp of salt.

Dinner - QUINOA CHOCOLATE PORRIDGE 2

Ingredients
(experiment with ingredients in red)

83 g quinoa raw (1 500g packet divided into 6)
220 ml water
140 ml (0.25 pints) milk,
20g cacao powder
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp (15g) Truvia
0.25 tsp Vanilla extract
0.25 tsp salt
18g dark chocolate (6 squares Green and Blacks 85% - vary according to preferences)
1 tbsp Tahina
0.5 tsp AllSpice with 0.25 tsp cinnamon to avoid bitterness.

Instructions

Boil the quinoa then simmer the quinoa in water for 14 minutes as I find the quinoa does not become translucent when boiled in milk.
Add milk, turn the heat back up making sure to turn down the gas before it bubbles over (about 1 minutes)
Lower the gas and wait for the recipe to be bubbling strongly on a low - medium heat.
Add dark chocolate and stir.
Once chocolate has melted, switch off gas and cover for 1 minute.
Add remaining ingredients, stir vigorously and serve. Add more milk if necessary.
Cover and leave for 1 minute before serving, so vanilla extract can suffuse the rest.

I can´t in all honesty tell you whether to grind the cloves or not; all I can tell you is that they need to be used with caution. I´d add them at the beginning, but I doubt very much if I´d ever use them in porridge or chocolate quinoa, dishes I would not prepare.
Mace needs to be ground in a spice grinder or a mortar. Grated nutmeg would have a similar flavour. Coriander will add a slightly orangy, citric flavour.
However, the amount of spice/spices you use is entirely up to you. I´ve got a lot of experience working with spices, but I can´t tell you how much to use in your dishes because it´s your tastebuds, eventually, which will dictate the final dish.

I would start with whole cloves removing them before eating and see how you like the taste. Cloves or clove oil are known for their numbing effect and often used for toothache very effectively, so don't try chomping on one.
If you want a stronger clove taste, try crushing one or two or moving over to ground cloves and try tiny quantities initially, building up as you experiment. Cloves just like chilli powder need to be explored with caution at first.

I want to get the maximum flavour from my spices. I will adjust the amounts as you suggested.
Would you advise adding nutmeg, mace and coriander at the beginning or the end?
I tried cloves with porridge and wasn't that keen. Maybe I'll retry.
I finally got some flavour from the mustard seeds after I roasted them until they started to pop then added them to the porridge as I started cooking it. Maybe I'll try grinding them

I've amended the recipe. I saw that wattleseed and Engevita are both supposed to have a nutty taste, so I added 2g of Engevita and 0.25 tsp of ground ginger. It was an improvement although I can't explain how. Also, I prefer sugar to maple syrup, but I need to mash the spices to make sure there are no lumps eg in the macaroot. I'm not yet sure exactly how much milk to put in. I like it thick, but insufficient milk means the spices don't get properly mixed through.
I add the dry spices at the end, so the antioxidants in the cacao don't get lost in the heat of the cooking. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily. Also, a lot of the spices lose their flavour if added too early.
I had some lovely chocolate mousse with coconut cream which gave me the idea of substituting coconut cream for tahina. I have not done so yet.
If anyone has made this, or changed it slightly and likes the result, please let me know.

QUINOA CHOCOLATE PORRIDGE 2

Ingredients

220 ml water
160 ml milk
1 tsp of butter
18g dark chocolate (6 squares Green and Blacks 85% - vary according to preferences)
1 tbsp Tahina or coconut cream
0.25 tsp Vanilla extract
22g cacao powder
13g of sugar.
2g Engevita
1 tbsp (14g) Truvia
0.25 tsp salt
2 tsp smoked paprika
7g maca root
0.25 ground black pepper
0.25 tsp cumin
0.25 tsp allspice
0.25 tsp ginger

Instructions

Boil the quinoa then simmer the quinoa in water for 14 minutes as I find the quinoa does not become translucent when boiled in milk.
Add milk, turn the heat back up making sure to turn down the gas before it bubbles over (about 1 minutes)
Lower the gas and wait for the recipe to be bubbling strongly on a low - medium heat.
Add dark chocolate and butter and stir.
Once chocolate has melted, switch off gas and cover for 1 minute.
Add remaining ingredients (listed in blue), stir vigorously. Add more milk if necessary.
Cover and leave for 1 minute before serving, so vanilla extract can suffuse the rest.

I'd like to try the flavour of buckwheat flour in the above. What's the best way to do this?
If I add it at the beginning or even with the chocolate, the water dissipates the flavour very quickly.
If I add it with the dry spices it gets stuck in my throat.
Is there a herb or spice with a similar flavour?
For anyone who's interested, there is now a non dairy version, but it's still a work in progress.

QUINOA CHOCOLATE PORRIDGE 2

Ingredients
(experiment with ingredients in red). Easier to get the ingredients listed in blue ready before starting. Put them in a bowl.

315 ml water
23g cacao powder with 0.75 tsp engevita or 2 tsp wattleseed
17g of sugar.
14g Truvia
1 tbsp smoked paprika
0.5 tsp ginger
0.125 tsp mild chilli powder or cumin
0.25 tsp salt
For consideration: 0.25 tsp allspice 7g maca root
16g tbsp Tahina
1.5 tsp rapeseed oil
0.25 tsp Vanilla extract

Instructions

Boil the quinoa then simmer the quinoa in water for 16 minutes
Add dark chocolate and stir.
Once chocolate has melted, switch off gas.
Add remaining ingredients (listed in blue), tahina, oil and vanilla extract
Stir vigorously.
Cover and leave for about 2 minutes before serving, so vanilla extract can suffuse the rest.

Back
Top Bottom