Chocolate ramekin cake

Tonychantelle

Local time
10:20 PM
Chocolate Cake for Two in ramekins | Dessert for Two

According to this site 👆🏻
I need to use "neutral oil"
As I have no idea what that means, can I use coconut oil? (which I like for deserts)

Additionally I have no baking powder and cannot get any since lock down (I've looked every day)
I'm aware of using substitutes for baking powder, for example bicarbonate of soda + lemon.
But the recipe uses very small amounts, uses bicarbonate of soda as well as baking powder and I don't know how the end results will be affected by using lemon with the coffee and chocolate.

Appreciate your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bicarbonate of Soda needs acid but acid is found in chocolate. Use natural cocoa powder and no lemon and it should be fine.

Neutral oil simply means oil with very little or no discernible taste. In the UK this is typically something like rapeseed oil. You can use any oil in this recipe. Coconut oil may lend a coconut flavour (depends how flavoured the oil is) but that would be rather nice with chocolate.

Hey thanks.
I tried this works fine. (although I'm not sure if it was natural cocoa powder. It was Cadbury Bournville cocoa powder)
My ramekins were bigger than the 6ounce ones in the recipe. So I don't know if they rose enough or not.

My only mistake for anyone coming across this.
Try not to spill the batter down on the inside of the ramekins as it dries up and burns easily. Next time I would add the batter directly into the middle of the ramekin so the inside isn't coated with a thin layer which will burn. Other than that it was great and the coconut oil went well with the coffee/ chocolate.

Last edited:
Try not to spill the batter down on the inside of the ramekins as it dries up and burns easily.
If this does happen again, just wrap a bit of paper towel or a dish cloth corner around your finger, get it a little damp, and then just wipe it out before baking. Works a treat!

Back
Top Bottom