Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:23 PM
Chocolate Rum Butter Alligator Tenderloin:

full.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Alligator tenderloin - 4 to 6 Oz.
2) Butter - 2 tblspns.
3) Rum, dark divided - 1/8 cup for sauce, 3 tblspns. for marinade.
4) Molasses - 1 to 2 tspns.
5) Cocoa powder - 2 tblspns.
6) Allspice - 1 tspn.

Procedure:

1) Tenderize the tenderloin with a meat mallet or other alternative.
2) Marinade overnight in 3 tblspns. rum with allspice.
3) Before proceeding, ensure that the butter is soft.
4) Blend the butter, molasses, cocoa powder and 1/8 cup rum.
5) Combine the alligator, marinade and chocolate rum butter sauce.
6) Preheat oven to 350F.
7) Oven cook the combined ingredients for about 20 to 30 minutes.
8) Serve.

I have some more alligator tenderloin to enjoy on another day.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Reactions: mjd
Is that something you would typically bake or are there other ways to prep it?
What does it taste like? (Don't say "chicken" ;-)
Is this your first time having alligator?
Is it something you have easy access to buy?

Is that something you would typically bake or are there other ways to prep it?
What does it taste like? (Don't say "chicken" ;-)
Is this your first time having alligator?
Is it something you have easy access to buy?

People often bread and fry alligator. I have never done that. I usually marinate and either bake or stew it. I can understand why people think that alligator is hard to cook right when their main intent is to bread and fry it.

Alligator, like turtle, tastes different, depending upon the part you use. Some parts are tough and others soft and succulent. I bought tenderloins and they like some turtle meat strongly resembled chicken breast meat in flavor, but different, with a slight taste like a white fish, like halibut. Not all alligator meat tastes like chicken, just certain parts. And if the parts that had a chicken flavor were totally like chicken, there'd be no incentive to buy alligator as it is more expensive. It is different. Texturewise, it is very different. Chicken breast meat flakes apart, but alligator tenderloin is much more cohesive and pliant. Some people think it to be rubbery, but that is a bad description.

I have had alligator before. I like it. Sometimes, depending upon where you live, you can buy it locally, but I had to order mine online from a game meat supplier.

Reactions: mjd
flyinglentris, thanks for taking the time to explain all that. I was intrigued by your title (you always draw me in with your *exotic* combinations of foods and ingredients in the title ;-).

As I was looking at your photos my brain clicked on it looks almost like cod or tuna steaks and I just got the impression it would be more of a fish taste but I can see how it matters what pieces you buy. That's how it is with most meat and fish and how it's prepared for packaging.

I'm curious about how you went about finding a source for it online or did you just take a chance on their products? I mean can you just google "find me some alligator!"?

It looks like it made a lovely meal. I'm glad you enjoyed it and shared your great photos.

flyinglentris, thanks for taking the time to explain all that. I was intrigued by your title (you always draw me in with your *exotic* combinations of foods and ingredients in the title ;-).

As I was looking at your photos my brain clicked on it looks almost like cod or tuna steaks and I just got the impression it would be more of a fish taste but I can see how it matters what pieces you buy. That's how it is with most meat and fish and how it's prepared for packaging.

I'm curious about how you went about finding a source for it online or did you just take a chance on their products? I mean can you just google "find me some alligator!"?

It looks like it made a lovely meal. I'm glad you enjoyed it and shared your great photos.

First, let me point out that the chocolate rum butter sauce is the key element in this recipe. I could have just as well used chicken, pork, beef or even sausages. But I wanted use some of my recently purchased alligator meat, instead.

I was actually googling for New Zealand green lipped mussels when I found them, in combination with a source of game meats, including alligator. Check out FarmFoods. They shipped out of Kansas City, even though they are based north of San Francisco.

Back
Top Bottom