Recipe Christmas Apple Cake

Local time
1:11 AM
We're not keen on traditional Christmas cake in our house, but rather than just having a chocolate cake (or something else you can have year-round) I bake this rich apple cake instead. Its dense and moist and I think it has a really Christmassy flavour.

Ingredients
200g butter, softened plus extra for greasing
200g dark muscovado sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp black treacle
200g self-raising flour
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
2 eating apples, grated (approx 100g each)
3 apples (approx 100g each), grated with most of the juice squeezed out

Method
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4
- Grease and line two 20cm cake tins, or one deep 20cm tin
- Beat the first seven ingredients together in a large bowl until pale and thick
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in the fruit until evenly combined
- Spoon the batter into the tins and bake for 20-30 mins (or 50-60 mins if you're making one deep cake) or until the cake is dark golden, springy to the touch and has shrunk away from the tin slightly
- Cool, sandwich them together with a filling of your choice (if you made two cakes, toffee flavour works well) and decorate

Original recipe from here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2564/easy-apple-fruit-cake
You'll see that the original recipe calls for 200g of apple and 300g of mixed sultanas and raisins but as we don't like dried fruit I substitute them for extra apple. Though because apple contains a lot more liquid than dried fruit you do need to squeeze most of the juice out of the extra apple otherwise the cake mixture is too soggy.

The 3 apples at the end are the ones I use instead of the dried fruit so I just use the same ones as before - sorry if it wasn't clear.

Back
Top Bottom