Christmas - do you love it or hate it?

I care about the number of people killed in the name of Christianity for their beliefs. :mad:
Which has eff-all to do throwing up a tree, getting some prezzies, and eating lots of gingerbread. :)

I'm a big ol' atheist, after all, so the Christian part of Christmas...meh, makes a nice story, but that's about it for me. No reason for me to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Which has eff-all to do throwing up a tree, getting some prezzies, and eating lots of gingerbread. :)

I'm a big ol' atheist, after all, so the Christian part of Christmas...meh, makes a nice story, but that's about it for me. No reason for me to throw the baby out with the bath water.

It is one of the reasons, among others, that i am an atheist. Just one of the many pagan holidays/celebrations stolen and turned into a Christian "celebration" to justify their religion.

It is one of the reasons, among others, that i am an atheist. Just one of the many pagan holidays/celebrations stolen and turned into a Christian "celebration" to justify their religion.

And I am a pagan for the same reason. I celebrate the 'original' Christmas called Yule :okay:

Now you all gave me thinking about it, I had to go add it up - I've spent $165US on five gifts so far. That's not counting the hamper, which is a gift for both of us (so maybe I should count half that?).

I'm an atheist but I love Christmas and the weeks before when everything is getting festive....I love decorating the house, going out to buy a tree, Christamas markets, sparkly lights, the cozy evenings in front of the fire in the pub, silly jumpers, cheesy Christmas songs, and spending time with the people I care about. And of course the food and drink :chef::hungry::cheers::drink:

I guess this year is going to be somewhat different: no Christmas markets for one thing and I very much doubt there'll be carols in the pub this year either. But hopefully we'll still be allowed to have close family over for Christmas itself.

If I could change one thing about Christmas it would be gifts...I'd not bother with them at all. Hubby and I haven't bought each other gifts for a long time (if we want or need something we tend to buy it) but the rest of the family aren't quite ready for that yet so we do exchange gifts with them (though we all make a list of things we'd like or find useful because no-one likes useless knick-knacks - so at least its not wasted money!)

Actually the Saturnalia were already celebrating something religious since they were in honour of the God Saturn and were celebrated from 17th to 23rd December. The birth of Christ only prolonged the celebrations.
Frankly, I am not crying out for scandal, also because religiousness before Christ was more devout than the devout, and it has always been known that there was a basic paganism. It looks a bit like the discovering of warm water....

1604067314162.png
1604067338405.png

Tasters mate you would love it in the Balkans. I would have to throw two babies out. We get two bites of the cherry on the 25th Dec and Jan 7th next year unless you are Orthodox and use the 14th of Jan as the new year. I get confused with all this religious bollocks as new year for Jews is Sept the 7th. This year for us the chosen people the 25th dec is the Tenth of Tevet a fasting day because the Babylonians sacked Jerusalem. Saturnalia :roflmao: All Eastern Orthodox churches base their liturgical calendar on the Julian calendar, but some use the Revised Julian calendar. It was introduced in 1923 to bridge the gap between the Julian calendar used by the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Gregorian calendar used by the rest of the world.

Back
Top Bottom