Christmas Meal 2020

I've never heard of lasagna for Christmas dinner but it sounds like a fabulous idea. Like you, I make my own sauce and use it for various pasta dishes.

I've never used Balsamic vinegar in my sauce. How much do you put in?

I never measure, but add it almost last and do some tasting to check the effect. This measuring cup thing is a strict thing or a guide in written recipes. If I am writing a recipe, for example, for this forum site, I will try to establish measuring cup amounts, but to tell you the truth, I usually just add stuff as I see fit and sometimes do some tasting to get it as close to just right as I can.

If you use Balsamic Vinegar, I suggest you do some taste tests on a small amount to see how it appeals to you. Then, if you decide to go with a batch of sauce, taste test it as you stir in the last elements of the sauce.

I usually make quite a bit of sauce and store it in 16 Oz. jars, as many as 8 of them, having consumed part or the sauce for the meal that same evening. On 16 Oz. jar produces two meals for me, using 8 Oz. or 1/2 the jar for each time I do a pasta meal using the sauce. If you elect to do this, ensure that you have room to refrigerate the jars until you need to use sauce.

I never measure, but add it almost last and do some tasting to check the effect. This measuring cup thing is a strict thing or a guide in written recipes. If I am writing a recipe, for example, for this forum site, I will try to establish measuring cup amounts, but to tell you the truth, I usually just add stuff as I see fit and sometimes do some tasting to get it as close to just right as I can.

If you use Balsamic Vinegar, I suggest you do some taste tests on a small amount to see how it appeals to you. Then, if you decide to go with a batch of sauce, taste test it as you stir in the last elements of the sauce.

I usually make quite a bit of sauce and store it in 16 Oz. jars, as many as 8 of them, having consumed part or the sauce for the meal that same evening. On 16 Oz. jar produces two meals for me, using 8 Oz. or 1/2 the jar for each time I do a pasta meal using the sauce. If you elect to do this, ensure that you have room to refrigerate the jars until you need to use sauce.

I'm familiar with the taste of Balsamic vinegar and can see how it would add to a tomato based sauce. I'll play around with it next time I make a batch.

It's just me now so I'm learning (slooooooowly) how to cook in smaller quantities. I would never use enough if refrigerated so I typically go the Mason jar and freezer route. One medium jar is just perfect when I want to kickstart a pasta dish.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm familiar with the taste of Balsamic vinegar and can see how it would add to a tomato based sauce. I'll play around with it next time I make a batch.

It's just me now so I'm learning (slooooooowly) how to cook in smaller quantities. I would never use enough if refrigerated so I typically go the Mason jar and freezer route. One medium jar is just perfect when I want to kickstart a pasta dish.

Thanks for sharing.

You are daring enough to freeze sauce in a Mason Jar? I would think that upon freezing, the sauce might expand (having water in it) and the glass would break!

Reactions: mjd
Mountain Cat It should be part of your Feast of the Seven fishes. John Dory or Peters fish has a mark on either side that is supposed to be either the disciple peters or from Jesus holding it."in allusion to St. Peter, who brought a fish said to be of that species, to Jesus at his command." Other known names for the John Dory are the "St. Pierre", or "Peter's Fish", perhaps explaining why dories were often referred to as "Peter Boats", Saint Peter being the patron saint of fishermen.[5] A related legend says that the dark spot on the fish's flank is St. Peter's thumbprint." you can see one of the marks on this fish. It is a very tasty fish.

1608287253178.png

That sound like a good tip.

Tutti frutti means sweet candied fruit to me. Is that what you mean? I've never come across it with chicken!

It's just dried fruit, not candied. Just a mix of dates, apricots and prunes. Apparently the Dutch use the name for something else than the rest of the world.

It's combined with spices like cinnamon, ginger etc in the stuffing. It's actually a medieval European way to eat chicken.

Mountain Cat It should be part of your Feast of the Seven fishes. John Dory or Peters fish has a mark on either side that is supposed to be either the disciple peters or from Jesus holding it."in allusion to St. Peter, who brought a fish said to be of that species, to Jesus at his command." Other known names for the John Dory are the "St. Pierre", or "Peter's Fish", perhaps explaining why dories were often referred to as "Peter Boats", Saint Peter being the patron saint of fishermen.[5] A related legend says that the dark spot on the fish's flank is St. Peter's thumbprint." you can see one of the marks on this fish. It is a very tasty fish.

View attachment 53062
Apparently not a fish that is sold on this side of the puddle, as far as I know, alas.

It's just dried fruit, not candied. Just a mix of dates, apricots and prunes. Apparently the Dutch use the name for something else than the rest of the world.

OK - and there was me going off an a mad journey of imagining recipes with chicken and candied fruits. Well - it might work!

Ok, for folks who are cooking for Christmas, what're you making? We're planning on:

Standing rib roast
Yorkshire puds
Roasted potatoes
Cauliflower cheese (a whole roasted head)
Gravy
Christmas pud and sauce (Harrod's)

We'll also have nibbles during the day (raw veggies and such to dip) and I'm making a mulled ale for our booze course.

How about you all?
Sounds delicious. I will be making my own sauce, meatballs and a huge lasagna. Bread, broccoli with garlic and olive oil, string beans, stuffed mushrooms and chicken francese. Baking a cheesecake and ordering a Boston Cream Pie from the local bakery.

Back
Top Bottom