Christmas Meal 2020

Christmas meal 2020 will be many small courses, spread out over the whole day -- that's the Doc's recommendation.

I'm sure there will be a Jello course, and a soup course. A meat course is up in the air -- something lean might be fine. I have some modest size USDA Prime tenderloin steaks (Filet Mignon) in the freezer. I also have chicken wings I can toss on the grill (BBQ). I can snack on those throughout the day, instead of eating all at once. Maybe ice cream for a dessert course.

It's really not a big sacrifice compared to the normal family Christmas dinner. "Grazing" is also a way I often eat.

CD

Update: after reading the post-op dietary instructions sent to me, the meat is out, the ice cream is out. Jello is in, the soup will be replaced by broth. Water for a beverage. Apple sauce for dessert -- I'll add a little cinnamon (I think that's okay). Can't wait. :hungry:

CD

Update: after reading the post-op dietary instructions sent to me, the meat is out, the ice cream is out. Jello is in, the soup will be replaced by broth. Water for a beverage. Apple sauce for dessert -- I'll add a little cinnamon (I think that's okay). Can't wait. :hungry:

CD

What is a jello course? Did I ask that already? If so sorry...

Reactions: mjd

CD
How long are you under those restrictions?

What is a jello course? Did I ask that already? If so sorry...
What you'd call jelly. The number 1 offering of hospital and school cafeterias all over the country. :)

I know. But a jelly course? Does this mean savoury?
No, he's making a joke, making his little bowl of wobble sound like something grand.

For example, I could say that during MrsT's recent colonoscopy prep, she had a choice of lovely broth course, followed by a jello course, followed by a Gatorade course. See...just a bit of sarcasm. :)

How long are you under those restrictions?

It is not carved in stone, but at least the first few days I am supposed to consume only clear liquids with little fat. I'm also supposed to eat small amounts throughout the day.

As the days and weeks go on, I can add things. But still, with an emphasis on low in fat content. In the long term, what I eat will be determined by what it does to me when I eat it.

CD

As I have no doubt previously mentioned, Christmas is not celebrated in this country (except by the major stores/supermarkets).

We didn't have a plan to prepare anything special for Christmas Day; but today, my wife bought these pork ribs. I shall marinate them in a char siu sauce and probably barbecue them on Friday. The accompaniment will very likely be vegetable masala and wine (of course).

Is anyone else planning anything different this year?

Menu for Christmas Eve:

Breakfast: Cheese, Shrimp and Leek Omelet. Coffee.
Lunch: The Feast of the Only Three Fishes: Chirashi Bowl - Sushi rice topped with shrimp, salmon and scallops, green onions, and at least one more veggie.
Dinner: Pan Seared Salmon with Cabbage and Mushrooms, Cooked with Vermouth.
Beverages: Water, wine, maybe rum and seltzer.

Menu for Christmas Day:

Breakfast: A whole grapefruit. Coffee.
Lunch: Tamales, home made (They're already made and in the freezer atm.) Green Bean Casserole, home made.
Dinner: A salad with some of the leftover shrimp and scallops.
Beverages: Water, wine, maybe hot tea.

Company: Dinner for two - but alas the cat will be mostly getting her canned food, and as a teetotaler, she only drinks water.

It is not carved in stone, but at least the first few days I am supposed to consume only clear liquids with little fat. I'm also supposed to eat small amounts throughout the day.

As the days and weeks go on, I can add things. But still, with an emphasis on low in fat content. In the long term, what I eat will be determined by what it does to me when I eat it.

CD

Update: Since I still have my gall bladder (see General Chat thread), I have upgraded my dinner plans. I am thawing some nice beef short ribs to braise. I'll serve that with some mashed potatoes. Maybe something else on the side -- not sure.

CD

We'll be having a rack of lamb we already had in freezer. I'll crust it with an herb, garlic, panko crust. Sides will be fennel, potato and gruyere gratin, brussel sprouts and roasted grape tomatoes. Dessert, if we end up eating it at all, will be cherry turnovers and ice cream, or dark chocolates, or homemade mint/almond/orange flavored cream cheese, butter and 10x sugar candies if they get made.

Back
Top Bottom