Christmas Meal 2020

A fine wine doesn't have to be shared. Treat yourself, and raise a toast to absent friends.

We are in agreement. But its too late to go out for the wine as my budget is already stressed for this month.

All right, my three planned meals became two, instead. You saw the omelet earlier.

This is the chirashi dish.

dec 24 chirashi-.jpg

The unseen base: Sushi rice with the vinegar and a dash of sugar - also includes rehydrated shiitake and tree ears.

Atop, from the midnight point going clockwise: raw sea scallops, lumpfish "caviar", bits of pan fried kingfish steak, scallions/green onions, pan fried shrimp, grape tomatoes, wasabi paste (not the real stuff), and up to the top, a quail yolk of egg, raw (the white was discarded).

I searched the freezer as far as possible - can't find the salmon so I must have dreamed having some here. Oh well, I found the kingfish steaks.

Feast of the Four Fishes here.

Went from egg rolls to potato skins to pizza rolls, and finished with taquitos. Having gluhwein now and finishing a Christmas movie, then on to stocking stuffers.

As I have no doubt previously mentioned, Christmas is not celebrated in this country (except by the major stores/supermarkets).

We didn't have a plan to prepare anything special for Christmas Day; but today, my wife bought these pork ribs. I shall marinate them in a char siu sauce and probably barbecue them on Friday. The accompaniment will very likely be vegetable masala and wine (of course).

Is anyone else planning anything different this year?

This was the culmination....

My wife asked me to save some wine for her. I don't know why, she doesn't like dry red.

One taste and that was it.

I suppose that I'll have to suffer and finish the bottle myself.

A five-bird roast is cooking in the water bath, and a turkey crown (back-up plan) is in the oven. Bread sauce was made and frozen a couple of weeks ago. Cheese board is coming up to room temperature, and fizzy white stuff is chilling down to fridge temperature. Pheasant stock is bubbling away, ready to make gravy. Just pigs in blankets and veg to prepare now. This seems to be going too well - I must have forgotten something.

A five-bird roast is cooking in the water bath, and a turkey crown (back-up plan) is in the oven. Bread sauce was made and frozen a couple of weeks ago. Cheese board is coming up to room temperature, and fizzy white stuff is chilling down to fridge temperature. Pheasant stock is bubbling away, ready to make gravy. Just pigs in blankets and veg to prepare now. This seems to be going too well - I must have forgotten something.
Or, you've got this! ;-) Sounds wonderful.

I felt well enough to whip up our family tradition Christmas scrambled eggs and sausage patties. The only thing missing was toast. The picture sucks, but the light was low, and I had already taken a bite before thinking to snap a picture. But, I can tell you it was good -- probably way overcooked for MG. :D

IMG_1223.JPG

CD

Our plans changed a little due to a schedule change regarding the boys presence. So I am roasting a whole chicken next weekend, now we had home marinated chicken breast. And the prawn & salmon wreath has been moved to tomorrow.

Our meal:

Marinated roasted chicken breast with yorkshire puddings, cranberry sauce, roasted potatoes and gravy that's run to the bottom of the plate, plus veggies.

And a salted caramel meringue roll with vanilla ice cream.

X-mas Morning Breakfast: I added three slices of bacon to the planned grapefruit. That grapefruit is TINY!

xmas morning brekkie.jpg

I ate this at 9 am today.
Yesterday I only had two meals because I had breakfast at 10, and didn't get hungry again until later that afternoon - ate at about 3:30 and was in bed by 5:30 or so. A dreary day outside.

Back
Top Bottom