Christmas Meal 2020

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:13 AM
Ok, for folks who are cooking for Christmas, what're you making? We're planning on:

Standing rib roast
Yorkshire puds
Roasted potatoes
Cauliflower cheese (a whole roasted head)
Gravy
Christmas pud and sauce (Harrod's)

We'll also have nibbles during the day (raw veggies and such to dip) and I'm making a mulled ale for our booze course.

How about you all?

I'm considering home made Lasagna for Christmas dinner. For News Years Eve, Clam Chowder with a Chicken Sandwich. In other words, nothing special.
Lasagna sounds great to me. It's become something of a traditional on its own.

Lasagna sounds great to me. It's become something of a traditional on its own.

Yes, I make my own Spaghetti Sauce, meatless or with Pork/Beef or Prawns and this in turn can be used for a wide variety of past dishes, Lasagna being one of them. All I need is the Lasagna Pasta, Ricotta and Mozzarella Cheese as alternate ingredients. My Spaghetti Sauces are usually spiked with Balsamic Vinegar.

Christmas meal 2020 will be many small courses, spread out over the whole day -- that's the Doc's recommendation.

I'm sure there will be a Jello course, and a soup course. A meat course is up in the air -- something lean might be fine. I have some modest size USDA Prime tenderloin steaks (Filet Mignon) in the freezer. I also have chicken wings I can toss on the grill (BBQ). I can snack on those throughout the day, instead of eating all at once. Maybe ice cream for a dessert course.

It's really not a big sacrifice compared to the normal family Christmas dinner. "Grazing" is also a way I often eat.

CD

I cook lunch for 10 and possibly my friend butcher, the day is massive here, I will serve

Roast leg of lamb with mint jelly
Turkey roast 2 breasts wrapped over cranberry stuffing
A piece of pickled pork with Apple sauce
Roasted potatoes, pumpkin, kumara, carrots and parsnips.

Boiled new potatoes from garden
Peas from garden
Baby carrots boiled

Daughter always brings custard trifle, d.i.l brings pav for me, my treat annually.

Son will go home with a pickled pork sammich, and a lamb sammich. He will devour around 9 o'clock when he's hungry. I think he has worms,lol.
I don't eat until the next day.

I think I love Xmas day more than TastyReuben !!!

Russ

Not sure apart from the Pud. Covid means it will be lunch for the two of us so the suckling pig is out. I have a piece of rib aging in our butcher friend cabinet but I forgot to tell him so it will only be 14 days. I want a massive prawn cocktail, deep fried whitebait and cider. Mrs B want to scale down and use them as a starter followed by John Dory and chips. My fav in the UK with my younger brother.
1608271646380.png
1608271675665.png

The menu here has been set, it's only for the two of us due to lockdown but it's still going to be a real festive meal.

Starter:
Wreath of smoked salmon, prawns, cucumber and avocado with honey mustard dressing. Served with bread & garlic and herb butter.

Main:
Roast chicken stuffed with tutti frutti, pommes duchesse, brussels sprouts, gravy and cranberry sauce

Dessert:
Yule log pavlova with salted caramel & a vanilla ice cream scoop.

Here in the Netherlands we also eat a fancy meal on boxing day so the next day we're ordering Italian.
Piatto misto (mixed cheese, meat, dips)
Spaghetti aglio olio e peperonico
Tiramisu

So pretty decadent and lovely for two people.

A friend and I were planning on getting together for the Christmas Eve Feast of the Seven Fishes, each of us making some of the dishes. We were going to try out a fish market we have learned about near her home, to see if we could add in some less usual fish.

However with the sudden increase in area COVID, she's getting cold feet - and I just might, as well. I may end up with The Feast of the Three or Four Fishes, served just to myself.

I have salmon, sea scallops, and eel in my freezer. Ah, and there's also a package of baby octopus in there, too. I think the salmon and scallops could end up in a poke bowl, and I'd pan fry the eel separately (this has bones). There's a Japanese dish I would like to try for the octopus.... but will wait and see on that.

Definitely the meal would include veggies. I'm not bothering with dessert... seafood is dessert unto itself!

Not sure apart from the Pud. Covid means it will be lunch for the two of us so the suckling pig is out. I have a piece of rib aging in our butcher friend cabinet but I forgot to tell him so it will only be 14 days. I want a massive prawn cocktail, deep fried whitebait and cider. Mrs B want to scale down and use them as a starter followed by John Dory and chips. My fav in the UK with my younger brother.View attachment 53034View attachment 53035
What is a John Dory???

The menu here has been set, it's only for the two of us due to lockdown but it's still going to be a real festive meal.

Starter:
Wreath of smoked salmon, prawns, cucumber and avocado with honey mustard dressing. Served with bread & garlic and herb butter.

Main:
Roast chicken stuffed with tutti frutti, pommes duchesse, brussels sprouts, gravy and cranberry sauce

Dessert:
Yule log pavlova with salted caramel & a vanilla ice cream scoop.

Here in the Netherlands we also eat a fancy meal on boxing day so the next day we're ordering Italian.
Piatto misto (mixed cheese, meat, dips)
Spaghetti aglio olio e peperonico
Tiramisu

So pretty decadent and lovely for two people.
Tutti frutti for a stuffing? Isn't that a type of candy?

Yes, I make my own Spaghetti Sauce, meatless or with Pork/Beef or Prawns and this in turn can be used for a wide variety of past dishes, Lasagna being one of them. All I need is the Lasagna Pasta, Ricotta and Mozzarella Cheese as alternate ingredients. My Spaghetti Sauces are usually spiked with Balsamic Vinegar.

I've never heard of lasagna for Christmas dinner but it sounds like a fabulous idea. Like you, I make my own sauce and use it for various pasta dishes.

I've never used Balsamic vinegar in my sauce. How much do you put in?

Back
Top Bottom