Recipe Christmas Mince Pies (Vegan)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:23 AM
Mincemeat isn't a 'set' recipe. Its basically dried fruits steeped in alcohol (or fruit juice) with suet and often grated apple added. Its simple enough to make it vegan by using vegetable suet which is easily available in the UK. Indeed most jars of ready-made mincemeat seem to be vegan these days.

20171207_150618.jpg

Ingredients
(makes approx. 9)
  • 225g plain flour
  • 90g Trex, other vegetable shortening or vegan margarine
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 50g golden raisins
  • 50g dried cranberries
  • 50g sultanas
  • 25 ml whisky
  • zest of 1/2 lemon and 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 70g vegetarian suet
  • 60g dark brown sugar
  • 20g chopped mixed peel
  • Grated nutmeg to taste
Method
  1. Soak the raisins, cranberries and sultanas in the whisky and lemon juice for 1 hr (or overnight) until plumped up.
  2. Whilst the fruit is soaking, make the shortcrust pastry. Place the flour in a bowl and mix in the salt. Cut the vegetable shortening or margarine into pieces and rub into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add just enough cold water to bring the mix together into a ball of dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to chill.
  3. Drain the soaked fruit and add the lemon zest and juice, suet, sugar, mixed peel and nutmeg. Mix well.
  4. Heat oven to 180C
  5. Roll out the pastry fairly thinly* and cut out nine rounds. Line the holes in a muffin tin with the pastry rounds.
  6. Fill each round with mincemeat (be careful not to overfill as the mincemeat mix can overflow as it cooks).
  7. Top with shapes of pastry or smaller rounds.
  8. Bake the pies for 20 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool before removing them from the muffin trays and dusting with icing sugar.
*I do this between 2 sheets of cling film.

20171207_150729.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning little tarlets ..

Have you ever tried preparing with Marsala, an Italian Sweet Red Wine or better yet, a Navarre Moscatel White Sweet Wine instead of the Whiskey ?

I believe the profile would be enchanting with wine and the dried fruits ..

Truly wonderful photography too ..

Stunning little tarlets ..

Have you ever tried preparing with Marsala, an Italian Sweet Red Wine or better yet, a Navarre Moscatel White Sweet Wine instead of the Whiskey ?

I believe the profile would be enchanting with wine and the dried fruits ..

Truly wonderful photography too ..

I'll be making lots more over the next few weeks so I'll certainly try using Marsala or Moscatel. I can see that would work but I'd cut back the sugar in the recipe if using sweet wine. :okay:

I actually really don't like mince pies....but wow those look good! I think that picture is better than most of the ones on the boxes they sell in the shops :D

I'll be making lots more over the next few weeks so I'll certainly try using Marsala or Moscatel. I can see that would work but I'd cut back the sugar in the recipe if using sweet wine. :okay:

@morning glory

I would go with the Moscatel White Semi Sweet or Sweet wine from Navarre if possible .. Yes, you can take a sip and see how much sugar to reduce ..

I believe it shall enhance incredibly the flavors of the dried fruits .. I would also marinate the dried fruits in the Moscatel !! ( 1 / 2 hour in cool spot ) ..

These are truly lovely and I plan to send the récipe to my daughter in laws, Mom and Mom in law ..

( when I get back Monday morning approx .. 10am )

I actually really don't like mince pies....but wow those look good! I think that picture is better than most of the ones on the boxes they sell in the shops :D
Thank you! :) I don't like sweet things but I do have a liking for mince pies. I think its the alcohol with the dried fruit I like, probably! :D

Back
Top Bottom