Christmas presents for cooks

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:55 PM
Do you have a cooking related Christmas present wish list? For some reason I can't think of anything I really want that isn't stupidly expensive. Family are asking but I'm drawing a blank - it would be interesting to know what other cooks here would like to receive.

Yes. I took a picture of a Sur La Table SS sauté pan with lid that was on clearance, along with a vertical-style meat pounder and emailed that to the wife with "Hint Hint This would be a good Christmas gift."

I might get the pounder, but I won't get the pan, because MrsTasty would had to have gotten off her rear then and gone down the shop to get it, and being a 40-minute drive, she wouldn't do that without planning for it like a holiday.

Christmas gifts are always a bit of a sore subject with us. I don't like being given a list. I pride myself on knowing a person, listening throughout the year, and putting thought into a gift.

My wife, OTOH, was raised with the practice of everyone exchanging lists and just buying what the person asked for. To me, that's a let-down, because you pretty much know what you're getting before you even open it.

What I don't like - a bunch of single-purpose gadgets that are questionable to begin with. Little plastic gizmo that's supposed to make short work of garlic, or super-fast-easy mini-chopper, or herb-strippers, those kinds of things.

I like simple and good-quality stuff. I've hinted several times since last Thanksgiving that I'd like a quality metal carving fork from Wusthof (or of similar design and quality) - that hasn't happened yet. :(

I "think" I would like an InstaPot and then I "think" it will turn into another cabinet space hog more than actually being used. Obviously, I am undecided. :)
MrsTasty almost got me one last year, and I'm so glad she didn't. Another thing I wouldn't like along those lines...a bread maker.

See, I like to cook, and for the most part, that means I like the process of cooking. I like chopping things, I like stirring things and lifting lids and taking a peek and a taste.

I like my hands in the dough, I like shaping and braiding loaves. While I do appreciate the occasional convenience of dumping everything into a slow cooker and stepping away for a bit, for the most part, I like the work of cooking, and after flipping through several recipes for an InstantPot, I know I wouldn't have liked it, but I would have felt obligated to use it.

I "think" I would like an InstaPot and then I "think" it will turn into another cabinet space hog more than actually being used. Obviously, I am undecided. :)

Therein lies the problem - I am the same. I think I'd like an InstaPot but then I realise I wouldn't use it enough. Do I want something that does everything? Doesn't that take the fun out of cooking?

MrsTasty almost got me one last year, and I'm so glad she didn't. Another thing I wouldn't like along those lines...a bread maker.

See, I like to cook, and for the most part, that means I like the process of cooking. I like chopping things, I like stirring things and lifting lids and taking a peek and a taste.

I like my hands in the dough, I like shaping and braiding loaves. While I do appreciate the occasional convenience of dumping everything into a slow cooker and stepping away for a bit, for the most part, I like the work of cooking, and after flipping through several recipes for an InstantPot, I know I wouldn't have liked it, but I would have felt obligated to use it.

It seems we both replied together with similar sentiments!

I have a Victorinox 12-inch slicing knife on my list.

I'm hoping for some gift cards to put towards a new Refrigerator/Freezer. My current one has developed a warped refrigerator door. It doesn't close completely at the bottom -- there is a half-inch gap. How does a steel and plastic door warp? And, it's only 26-years old!

CD

I agree with all three sentiments mentioned about an Instant Pot. I know people who LOVE them. But to me, they are like the microwave oven of stewing and braising. I have three sizes of LeCreuset Dutch ovens, so why would I push them aside for a cheap appliance just to save time?

CD

A couple of things I forgot to mention - I would like a proper long apron - one that goes down to halfway between my knees and ankles, and made of good-quality material, not some thin crap.

Also, big item on my list this year (and I mentioned it before)...I'm a huge Vincent Price fan, and he was a noted home chef, and even wrote a couple of cookbooks in the 1970's and hosted his own cooking show with his wife.

I want one of those books, partly for the VP connection, but also because I love just about anything 1970's-related (even disco!), so I'm interested to see what "retro" things are in it.

My husband loves roast beef and gravy. In my mind I imagine the ease of braising the roast and using the pressure type cooking to help produce tender beef.. and THEN I say to myself " just slow cook it in the oven" .. decisions decisions!

Good point. The pressure cooking feature is a 'pull'.

Back
Top Bottom