Christmas presents for cooks

Because of this topic, I got off my butt and emailed my wife links to two cookbooks, an apron, and a meat pounder. Couldn't be simpler for shopping.

What did MrsTasty say? "You want cooking stuff for Christmas? Isn't that kind of, well, lame?"

Sometimes, we're two very different people. :)

Also, big item on my list this year (and I mentioned it before)...I'm a huge Vincent Price fan, and he was a noted home chef, and even wrote a couple of cookbooks in the 1970's and hosted his own cooking show with his wife.

I want one of those books, partly for the VP connection, but also because I love just about anything 1970's-related (even disco!), so I'm interested to see what "retro" things are in it.

I can get the books for a not too expensive price here. I love retro books...

...and I think they're 60's, not 70's, but that's almost as good. :wink:

One I found 'Cooking Price-Wise' was originally published in 1971. Republished 2017 by Victoria Price, his daughter.

My husband loves roast beef and gravy. In my mind I imagine the ease of braising the roast and using the pressure type cooking to help produce tender beef.. and THEN I say to myself " just slow cook it in the oven" .. decisions decisions!

I did both the last time I cooked pot roast. I forgot to get it started early, so I cooked the meat for a while with the pressure cooker, then started adding the veges and cooked it the regular way until done.

My spice grinder ( coffee grinder) sh$& itself a few weeks ago. Used only for my spices for curries. It was about 15 years old and had done a sh&@ load of work. I've hinted I want another one for Xmas. My bet is daughter will get it. I'm using a make shift blender that doesn't get it fine enough for my liking.

Russ

Hey, I think this is on-topic. My mom has a problem baking cookies without burning the bottoms. I think it is because she uses margarine instead of shortening, but she won't listen to me. Soooo, would a couple of Silpat baking mats be a good gift for her? Would they help with the burning bottoms?

The big challenge at Christmas is buying things for my Dad. He doesn't buy a lot of things, but if he wants something, he just buys it. New computer? Done. 72-inch TV, Done. Every four years, he goes to the Audi dealer, picks out a car, and writes a check. Nobody in my family knows what to get him for Christmas.

I bought him an Anova Sous Vide circulator two years ago, not knowing whether he would ever use it. But, he has used it many times. He loves it. He just raves about how tender and juicy meats are cooked sous vide. The man I once knew as "The Grim Reaper of grilled meats" can now cook a good steak. :laugh:

CD

Last edited:
My mom has a problem baking cookies without burning the bottoms. I think it is because she uses margarine instead of shortening, but she won't listen to me. Soooo, would a couple of Silpat baking mats be a good gift for her? Would they help with the burning bottoms?

Not sure - I think that they are mainly to stop food sticking. If the bottoms of the cookies are burning perhaps she is cooking them at too high a temperature? Margarine shouldn't cause them to burn - although I don't know what type she is using. The low fat margarines have water added and aren't suitable for baking.

Hey, I think this is on-topic. My mom has a problem baking cookies without burning the bottoms. I think it is because she uses margarine instead of shortening, but she won't listen to me. Soooo, would a couple of Silpat baking mats be a good gift for her? Would they help with the burning bottoms?

The big challenge at Christmas is buying things for my Dad. He doesn't buy a lot of things, but if he wants something, he just buys it. New computer? Done. 72-inch TV, Done. Every four years, he goes to the Audi dealer, picks out a car, and writes a check. Nobody in my family knows what to get him for Christmas.

I bought him an Anova Sous Vide circulator two years ago, not knowing whether he would ever use it. But, he has used it many times. He loves it. He just raves about how tender and juicy meats are cooked sous vide. The man I once knew as "The Grim Reaper of grilled meats" can now cook a good steak. :laugh:

CD

Silpats are for no sticking as previously noted. Maybe a good oven thermometer or the double thick/insulated sheet pans, or even both?

I use an app called Giftster to share Christmas lists with my family - I tend to update it throughout the year when something occurs to me. It currently has a sous vide circulator, several GreenPan pans, a curry leaf plant and a Cadac paella pan on it. Plus a couple of camping-related things.

I agree with all three sentiments mentioned about an Instant Pot. I know people who LOVE them. But to me, they are like the microwave oven of stewing and braising. I have three sizes of LeCreuset Dutch ovens, so why would I push them aside for a cheap appliance just to save time?

CD
I'm firmly in the LOVE it camp - its probably the kitchen appliance I use the most (certainly way more than I use the microwave). For slow cooking its much more energy efficient than using a dutch oven and pressure cooking is a great way to cook tough cuts of meat in a short amount of time (you can even cook some things from frozen if you forget to get them out of the freezer in time LOL). But then I already used separate pressure and slow cookers before I got the Instant Pot - maybe if you don't currently use a pressure cooker or slow cooker you wouldn't find it as useful as I do.

The main thing I want are more induction-ready skillets. Okay, maybe one or two more in sizes I don't have. Some silicon spatulas to replace the ones I've destroyed.

If someone has deep pockets, a good smoker-BBQ grill for the back yard. (I am NOT asking for this... some day I'll do it myself...)

On a back up list: a pressure cooker (InstaPot?), and a pressure canner (they ARE different). Not at all critical, but could be of interest some day. But again, I'm not needing those things.

Basically, though, I am fine.

The main thing I want are more induction-ready skillets. Okay, maybe one or two more in sizes I don't have. Some silicon spatulas to replace the ones I've destroyed.

If someone has deep pockets, a good smoker-BBQ grill for the back yard. (I am NOT asking for this... some day I'll do it myself...)

On a back up list: a pressure cooker (InstaPot?), and a pressure canner (they ARE different). Not at all critical, but could be of interest some day. But again, I'm not needing those things.

Basically, though, I am fine.

I just replace my warped aluminum non-stick skillets with some new ones from All-Clad. They are anodized aluminum pan, with a stainless steel bottom that is fused into the aluminum. They are induction compatible! Decent price, too.

ALL-CLAD HA1 Nonstick 2 Pack Fry Pan E785S264

Weber is introducing a line of Pellet Smokers in early 2020. They are expensive, but they are Weber, made in the USA and should last MANY years. They have a 200F to 600F temperature range, so you can slow smoke a brisket, or cook a wood fired pizza.

I have the hots for one, big time. I know I'll end up buying one. (Be sure to watch the video at the website link below)

SmokeFire Series | Wood Pellet Grills | Weber Grills

CD

Back
Top Bottom