Christmas Trees & Decorations

This is last year's tree.

IMG_7156.JPG

We haven't bought this year's yet. That is tomorrow's job. Then we'll keep it outside for a week in water. This is partly due to the massive insect wildlife of which you have to be quite careful (poisonous spiders are plentiful and usually the same size as UK ones), partly due to the fact that they sell out very quickly (the local place some 25-30km away sold out list yeast over a week before Christmas and we had to travel much further afield to obtain one) and partly due to the fact it will take me all day to put it up, undo the hideous shaping and thin the branches of considerably, and decorate it. I'll do that on Saturday or Sunday next weekend depending on how things work out.

All our baubles are glass ones purchased when my husband and I first moved in together in 1994. They are very special to us. We took hours and hours choosing them and still love them. Even the lights are the original one. Only the tinsel is new. That we bought list yeast after finally disposing of the old broken stiuff before we moved out here. The other baubles I have don't tend to get used, they are the ones my mother bought when I was born, again glass ones and whilst I take them, they are simply not to our style so generally don't come out.

For many years I was heavy into crafting. I made ornaments for my family. My favorite and their favorite was the year I found small, 4" tall, stuffed bears at Michael's (craft shop). I made bear ornaments. I had boxes of fabric scraps, bits and pieces of string, ribbon and broken jewelry. I dressed each bear to reflect the hobbies, profession, personality of each of my sibs, in-laws, nieces and nephews and of course Mom and Dad. I had a blast personalizing each one and my family loved them. Another year I made wreaths. I found vine wreaths on sale and again decorated each one with the recipient in mind. I used whatever I could get my hands on to make ornaments. Some were kind of crazy but always unique and personal. That's the kind of stuff I like. Each ornament has a fond memory attached to it.

I am kind of sappy about Christmas.

For many years I was heavy into crafting. I made ornaments for my family. My favorite and their favorite was the year I found small, 4" tall, stuffed bears at Michael's (craft shop). I made bear ornaments. I had boxes of fabric scraps, bits and pieces of string, ribbon and broken jewelry. I dressed each bear to reflect the hobbies, profession, personality of each of my sibs, in-laws, nieces and nephews and of course Mom and Dad. I had a blast personalizing each one and my family loved them. Another year I made wreaths. I found vine wreaths on sale and again decorated each one with the recipient in mind. I used whatever I could get my hands on to make ornaments. Some were kind of crazy but always unique and personal. That's the kind of stuff I like. Each ornament has a fond memory attached to it.

I am kind of sappy about Christmas.
That's one of the reasons I made these for this year's Christmas...
DSC_2318.JPG

Just don't show hubby. You'll spoil the surprise!

Lovely!!!

Reminds me of a tree I had in the mid 80's. Living in a one bedroom loft apartment. Poor as a church mouse. It was a nice complex but I had very little furniture. My "Couch" was a single box spring and mattress set on bricks with a home made fabric cover. Bed pillows covered in coordinating fabric for the back. My bed was a double box spring and mattress on the floor - no frame.

I tromped the woods and found a large, lovely branch. Spray painted it white then flocked it. Blue and silver glass balls. An up light with a blue shield. Packages wrapped in blue and silver foil. It really was a beautiful tree. Word spread around the apartment complex about my beautiful tree. People that I did not know visited with food gifts just to see my tree.

Those were the days my friend.

This is last year's tree.

View attachment 12191

We haven't bought this year's yet. That is tomorrow's job. Then we'll keep it outside for a week in water. This is partly due to the massive insect wildlife of which you have to be quite careful (poisonous spiders are plentiful and usually the same size as UK ones), partly due to the fact that they sell out very quickly (the local place some 25-30km away sold out list yeast over a week before Christmas and we had to travel much further afield to obtain one) and partly due to the fact it will take me all day to put it up, undo the hideous shaping and thin the branches of considerably, and decorate it. I'll do that on Saturday or Sunday next weekend depending on how things work out.

All our baubles are glass ones purchased when my husband and I first moved in together in 1994. They are very special to us. We took hours and hours choosing them and still love them. Even the lights are the original one. Only the tinsel is new. That we bought list yeast after finally disposing of the old broken stiuff before we moved out here. The other baubles I have don't tend to get used, they are the ones my mother bought when I was born, again glass ones and whilst I take them, they are simply not to our style so generally don't come out.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Very beautiful .. Thank you for sharing it with us ..

My husband took a better picture and with 2 presents.

View attachment 12255
Are those stars metal ones? I think we have ' one ' that is the same. I say one because we bound 2 together many years ago to make the star that is hanging (it wouldn't attach to the top of the tree) from the ceiling in my photo.. If you look carefully you'll see it.
I always wished be had bought more of them at the time. I can't even remember where they came from now!

Back
Top Bottom