Recipe Clams with pine nuts, sultanas and chilli

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:15 AM
It may seem unusual to use dried fruit with shellfish but I’ve in the past used raisins in a prawn dish with success. The chilli I used here was a very mild one but a hotter chilli would work, though you would need to decrease the quantity. If you wish you can toast the pine-nuts beforehand, but placing in a dry pan over a medium heat.

Note: the clams I used had already been purged by the fishmonger.

Ingredients (serves 2)
30g sultanas (or raisins)
75ml amontillado sherry
2 large cloves of garlic , finely sliced in to slivers
2 large mild red chillies, deseeded and cut across into thin strips (approx. 2 heaped tbsp.)
25g pine nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
800g clams
Fresh parsley

Method
  1. Place the sultanas in a small bowl and add the sherry. Leave to steep for 15 minutes
  2. Heat the oil in a pan* and add the garlic slivers and chilli. Fry gently for a few minutes.
  3. Add the pine nuts and sultanas (including the sherry) and cook for a further few minutes
  4. Add the clams and stir gently occasionally until they open. It helps to add a lid to the pan. Discard any that remain closed.
  5. Serve garnished with parsley
* a wok or chef's pan is ideal.

Last edited:
As what kind of dish would you recommend that, the fish course or better as a warm starter? Raisins and sherry sounds like a very good couple to me.

As what kind of dish would you recommend that, the fish course or better as a warm starter? Raisins and sherry sounds like a very good couple to me.

I ate it as a light lunch with crusty bread to mop the juice. It is probably a fish course or starter if served in a restaurant. I don't tend to eat lots so for me its enough as a meal. In fact when I (used to :() go to restaurants I'd often order two starters for a two course meal.

Back
Top Bottom