Recipe Classic Guinness Cake.

Local time
11:48 PM
I am dedicating this one to @classic33. Sadly I don't have all the ingredients on hand so I can't make it right away and ship it off to God's Country. Just when I thought there were no more Guinness recipes left.
http://www.europeancuisines.com/Ireland-Desserts-Guinness-Cake
Renamed Classic33 Guinness Cake by adding 1/3 more Guinness making it 3/3:)
Guinness_Cake.jpg

Ingredients:

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon mace
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup seedless raisins
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup finely chopped citron, candied orange or lemon peel
  • Grated rind of 1 lemon
  • 1 3/4 cups soft brown sugar (dark brown works better)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2/3 cups Guinness or other stout
  • 4 eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C.

Line the bottom and sides of the cake pan with waxed paper (butter the sides a little to help the wax paper stick), and brush with a little melted butter or margarine.

Sift the flour and spices and half the baking soda together into a large bowl or food processor with the metal blade fitted. Mix well or pulse until combined. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, or pulse, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and stir or pulse to combine. (If using the food processor, you can pulse the mixture a little more to chop the fruit more finely.)

Add the beaten egg to the mixture and mix or pulse briefly again. Dissolve the remaining baking soda in the Guinness; then add this to the mixture as well and stir or pulse until well combined.

Pour (or scrape) the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Then lower the temperature to 300°F / 150° C, cover the top of the cake loosely with a sheet of waxed paper, and bake for a further 1 1/2 hours.

The cake should be a deep brown color and firm to the touch when finished. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely in its pan before turning it out and peeling off the waxed paper. When it's out, dust the top with confectioners' sugar / icing sugar.

This cake keeps very well in an airtight container for a week or so... if you can manage to keep it around for that long. Some people like to pierce it with a knife and "feed" it a little more Guinness before serving, say a few teaspoons full. Don't overdo this -- you don't want the cake to fall apart.

Serve it with fresh unsweetened whipped cream.

Last edited:
Today I tried out the recipe for Recipe Drunken Pumpkin Cookies posted by @classic33. Not sure it went correctly... may snap and post the result tomorrow! But I did love the dark bitter taste of the Guinness in the cookies. So, I'm liking the idea... my only comment is that this is one hell of a long time to cook a cake (2 and a half hours in total). Perhaps my oven which is at fault - but if I bake cakes in tins more than 3/4's of an hour, they start burning around the edges. Perhaps @SatNavSaysStraightOn can advise on this as I think she cooks a fruit cake for Christmas which is longish cooking, and this seems to be quite like a fruit cake.

What is the source of the recipe...?

Today I tried out the recipe for Recipe Drunken Pumpkin Cookies posted by @classic33. Not sure it went correctly... may snap and post the result tomorrow! But I did love the dark bitter taste of the Guinness in the cookies. So, I'm liking the idea... my only comment is that this is one hell of a long time to cook a cake (2 and a half hours in total). Perhaps my oven which is at fault - but if I bake cakes in tins more than 3/4's of an hour, they start burning around the edges. Perhaps @SatNavSaysStraightOn can advise on this as I think she cooks a fruit cake for Christmas which is longish cooking, and this seems to be quite like a fruit cake.

What is the source of the recipe...?
Not that long, all things given.

Traditional Rich Fruit Cake
Serves 20
Prep time 30 mins
Cooking time 3 hrs 30 mins
Total time 4 hrs
Skill level Easy

http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/531137/traditional-rich-fruit-cake

Upto 6 hours on the link given below! Which is less than what my aunt would have them in the oven for. I've known her to have them in for close on 12 hours. "Low & Slow".
http://www.imaginativeicing.demon.co.uk/ChristmasCakeRecipe.html

I actually think this could now be Anne's Classic33 Guinness Cake since I am adding 1/3 more Guinness. I am in lazy mode after cooking today otherwise I would bake something Guinness related.

I am dedicating this one to @classic33. Sadly I don't have all the ingredients on hand so I can't make it right away and ship it off to God's Country. Just when I thought there were no more Guinness recipes left.
http://www.europeancuisines.com/Ireland-Desserts-Guinness-Cake
Renamed Classic33 Guinness Cake by adding 1/3 more Guinness making it 3/3:)
Guinness_Cake.jpg

Ingredients:

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon mace
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup seedless raisins
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup finely chopped citron, candied orange or lemon peel
  • Grated rind of 1 lemon
  • 1 3/4 cups soft brown sugar (dark brown works better)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2/3 cups Guinness or other stout
  • 4 eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C.

Line the bottom and sides of the cake pan with waxed paper (butter the sides a little to help the wax paper stick), and brush with a little melted butter or margarine.

Sift the flour and spices and half the baking soda together into a large bowl or food processor with the metal blade fitted. Mix well or pulse until combined. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, or pulse, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and stir or pulse to combine. (If using the food processor, you can pulse the mixture a little more to chop the fruit more finely.)

Add the beaten egg to the mixture and mix or pulse briefly again. Dissolve the remaining baking soda in the Guinness; then add this to the mixture as well and stir or pulse until well combined.

Pour (or scrape) the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Then lower the temperature to 300°F / 150° C, cover the top of the cake loosely with a sheet of waxed paper, and bake for a further 1 1/2 hours.

The cake should be a deep brown color and firm to the touch when finished. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely in its pan before turning it out and peeling off the waxed paper. When it's out, dust the top with confectioners' sugar / icing sugar.

This cake keeps very well in an airtight container for a week or so... if you can manage to keep it around for that long. Some people like to pierce it with a knife and "feed" it a little more Guinness before serving, say a few teaspoons full. Don't overdo this -- you don't want the cake to fall apart.

Serve it with fresh unsweetened whipped cream.

There's plenty left yet!

I actually think this could now be Anne's Classic33 Guinness Cake since I am adding 1/3 more Guinness. I am in lazy mode after cooking today otherwise I would bake something Guinness related.
Name taken

As in someone's already used it for the same cake. Sorry they don't have the 33 on the end of Classic, my mistake.

She does a Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Cheese Icing

As in someone's already used it for the same cake. Sorry they don't have the 33 on the end of Classic, my mistake.

She does a Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Cheese Icing
Oh. I put a lot of work into coming up with this name. All I need to do now is make the cake and post it. Baking just isn't my forte even though I am getting better with time.

Not that long, all things given.

Traditional Rich Fruit Cake
Serves 20
Prep time 30 mins
Cooking time 3 hrs 30 mins
Total time 4 hrs
Skill level Easy

http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/531137/traditional-rich-fruit-cake

Upto 6 hours on the link given below! Which is less than what my aunt would have them in the oven for. I've known her to have them in for close on 12 hours. "Low & Slow".
http://www.imaginativeicing.demon.co.uk/ChristmasCakeRecipe.html
I know its not...its just that when I try to cook cakes this long they always seems to get burnt on the edges. Another thing I always think is 'why does it need to be cooked so long?'. I'm not a great cake maker, I should add!

Back
Top Bottom