Coffee, tea, something else?

You do realise that TastyReuben puts cream in tea? :ohmy:
Well, technically half-n-half, which is half cream and half milk.

Maybe you follow the "one-drop" policy, where even if the dairy you're using contains a single drop of cream...it's cream. :wink:

My wife was on the phone with her friend the other day...you might want to sit down for this... and she put
eggnog
in her tea!

Well, technically half-n-half, which is half cream and half milk.

As I understand it, that is what is known as single cream in the UK. So its cream by a different name and not many Brits would put it in tea. Double cream is equivalent to your 'heavy cream'.

Personally, I use a very little amount of semi skimmed milk in tea but I grew up with (again a small amount) full fat milk in tea. In fact I don't think we had the option of semi skimmed in those days.

Last edited:
As I understand it, that is what is known as single cream in the UK. So to its cream by a different name and I not many Brits would put it in tea. Double cream is equivalent to your 'heavy cream'.

Personally, I use a very little amount of semi skimmed milk in tea but I grew up with (again a small amount) full fat milk in tea. In fact I don't think we had the option of semi skimmed in those day.
Half-and-half is exactly what it says it is, a mix of milk and cream...sort of. The milk can be anything from skim to whole, and the cream can be either whipping cream or heavy whipping cream.

I think the fat amounts work out to be that your single cream is my whipping cream, and your double cream is my heavy whipping cream.

Oh dear...I hope we're not getting into "new thread" territory! :laugh:

I wanted to add that when I'm in the UK, I make my own half-and-half by mixing single cream and milk. 😏

I think the fat amounts work out to be that your single cream is my whipping cream, and your double cream is my heavy whipping cream.

Oh dear...I hope we're not getting into "new thread" territory! :laugh:

Probably! Maybe I'm getting jaded but I think a new thread on 'words for cream and its meanings across different countries' might be somewhat tedious.

You may be right about the half 'n half equivalent. I was going by standard recipe conversions from US to UK and they seem to say use single cream in place of half 'n half.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom