Recipe Coleslaw with Purple Cabbage

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
6:08 PM
I was just posting about Christmas dinner side dishes in another thread here, and wanted to share the recipe I used to make the coleslaw.

I looked around for a nice recipe that would be pretty easy to make, and found it on the Food Network, by Robert Irvine. I used to watch one of his television shows, and loved how easy his recipes were, so I decided to use this one.

The only change I made was to substitute purple cabbage, which I love, for the green cabbage called for in the recipe. The coleslaw turned out amazing, and is the best I've ever had. I doubt I'll ever use another recipe for coleslaw after using this one.

I had most of the ingredients on hand, which means they're standard in most kitchens. I had to buy the cabbage, white wine vinegar and celery seed, but those were relatively inexpensive, so this recipe is also budget friendly.

Here are the ingredients:

6 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper

And, here are the instructions:

In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In a smaller bowl, make dressing by combining mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, sugar, salt and pepper. Toss dressing into cabbage mixture and let chill. Serve in a family style bowl.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/cole-slaw-recipe0.html?oc=linkback

If you decide to try making this recipe, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

This sounds really good. I have never made it with purple cabbage before but it would look really nice as a side. I make my own coleslaw often during the summer months when we are having bbqs.

I'm not big on coleslaw myself because I don't like mayonnaise, but my family all enjoy it - I too like the idea of using purple cabbage! I think it's always fun to use something that's a bit different and eye catching! Sometimes I use purple sweet potato to make our potato soups - now that's cool, when you're eating a soup that's a purple liquid!!

I didn't realize there was a taste difference between purple and regular cabbage. I don't think they sell the purple around here. I would have to go to a larger area to find it. They often include in it those bags of the pre made coleslaw they have at the store. It's nice to see you back Diane Lane. It is always good to read your posts.

I didn't realize there was a taste difference between purple and regular cabbage. I don't think they sell the purple around here. I would have to go to a larger area to find it. They often include in it those bags of the pre made coleslaw they have at the store. It's nice to see you back Diane Lane. It is always good to read your posts.

Thanks, @kgord, I've missed y'all, and missed posting here! I was under the weather for a while, but hopefully am back on track, and will be here sharing and caring once again :). I don't think the taste difference is huge, but to me, the purple is slightly sweeter, and less earthy. I just love the color, and as @L_B and @cupcakechef mentioned, the color is really eye-catching. I think it looked great with the orange of the carrots, and when I was looking around at recipes and pictures, I saw that some people seemed to include green peas, as well. I might actually consider adding some beets next time I make it, since I love those. It seems like a powerhouse dish health-wise, too, which is always a positive for me.

Oh update @Diane Lane, I saw purple cabbage yesterday at the Target Superstore in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area. I am going to have to try one some day. The color is gorgeous. I think it looks like it would make a very good coleslaw. I will mention it to my roommate since he wants to make coleslaw and has been talking about it. Coleslaw is a great accompaniment to so many things.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use a mix of red cabbage and Dutch white ,I also like to use celeriac in coleslaw

@Berties a combination would be nice. It's mostly just me here, so two heads would be too much, but I like any sort of cabbage. I haven't seen celeriac in the stores here, but will keep my eyes open. I like trying new things. Even fennel is rare here, unfortunately, because I love it. I guess I should check into growing my own.

@kgord I agree, the color really is fabulous, especially in the Winter, when things tend to be somewhat blah. I got a bag of the cole slaw mix and a bottle of Marie's dressing to try, because I've heard good things about it, and I didn't want to take a chance on reinjuring my hand/thumb. The dressing was fine, I'd definitely use it again, but the bagged slaw mix was very rubbery and bland after having just had the fresh purple cabbage, so I probably won't buy the bagged mix again.

I am down with this. I feel like I have prepared this several times in the past minus the seeds. It's just that I don't always have the purple cabbage on hand. The cabbage that's always around is the traditional white cabbage if you call it white.

I am down with this. I feel like I have prepared this several times in the past minus the seeds. It's just that I don't always have the purple cabbage on hand. The cabbage that's always around is the traditional white cabbage if you call it white.

I don't know if it's called white or not. I've seen it simply called cabbage in the stores, and the purple is apparently called red haha. The regular cabbage that I consider green, is apparently a lot cheaper, but although I like that for boiled dinners, I really like the purple for coleslaw, or maybe a mixture, but since it's just me here that's way too much cabbage.

I have another head of the purple cabbage and plan on making another batch. It was truly yummy. I made another batch after this one, using Marie's prepared Coleslaw Dressing and bagged already shredded coleslaw mix, but the coleslaw mix was rubbery and tasteless. That's why I couldn't wait to buy another head of the purple cabbage. I still have some Marie's, which was my purpose of making that batch. I wanted to test it out and see if it would work in the future, when I'm in a rush. I'll make the next batch with the purple cabbage and the Marie's dressing, and then I'll decide on that issue, but for truly homemade, I really like the recipe above, from Robert Irvine.

I like to have the purple on hand especially when I have guest. I love a table of colour. Sometimes I do a stir fry with the purple cabbage as well. It never disappoints.

I like to have the purple on hand especially when I have guest. I love a table of colour. Sometimes I do a stir fry with the purple cabbage as well. It never disappoints.

Yum! I've never actually used cabbage in a stir fry, but that's a fabulous idea, especially using the purple for a punch of color. I'm definitely going to do that next time I make a stir fry. I'm way overdue for one, so hopefully I'll make one soon. I think I'll set aside a bit of the head I have right now for that purpose, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom