Comfort food

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:57 PM
I am certain we must have had this subject come up before - but not for a while. What are your favourite comfort foods? Mine is soup, potatoes (any sort) and eggs. I'm sure there are other things but those are the first things that come to mind.

So what do you like to eat if you are feeling in need of a hug?

tumblr_m124x5EwoC1qc4uvwo1_400.jpg

Last edited:
Mac cheese probably top of the list. Once heard it described as 'nursery food' - anything that comes under that banner cuts it for me as comfort food.

Agree with you about soup, potatoes/eggs in any combination, baked beans too, I guess

Probably a whole raft of puddings - bread+butter pudding for sure

And the third food type - chocolate...

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
Spaghetti and meatballs.
Roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings.
Roasted chicken with potatoes.
Rice pudding.
Chocolate pudding.

Last edited:
I forgot my guilty pleasure ramen noodles.
My grandma used to make a dish of cooked broad egg noodles with melted butter, & cottage cheese. Delish.

No need for me to cook a whole turkey. Just half a turkey breast is enough for me! Then all the fixins' (side dishes) in very small amounts. No waste, no eating it all week, no extra work, & no ridiculously long prep & cleanup times!! Simple! And no fighting to get all of the leftovers in the fridge!!:wink:

Last edited:
Get some sub rolls, put some leftover turkey breast, stuffing, a little gravy, some cranberry sauce, & you have what is called a Thanksgiving Sub!! Hah! :wink:

My grandma used to make a dish of cooked broad egg noodles with melted butter, & cottage cheese. Delish.

That does sound very comforting.

Why is it that fairly bland foods = comfort? Is it just that as babies and toddlers we were fed bland food?

Breaking that thought - I love chillies and will eat a really hot brain zapping curry or chilli as comfort. All thoughts of anything else dissipate.

Back
Top Bottom