Comfort food

Suet dumplings as my Mother used to make. How I miss those...

I do miss them. There is only one or two months of the year here where beef stew is appropriate. However, I do try.......

beefstew-l.jpg

Don't! I just had youhurt with stewed plums and honey so seeing this picture has me longing for the lamb stew that Ma used to make with the dumplings. Mind you, the temperature has fallen from 28C a couple of weeks ago to 9C over night and reluctant to get up to 17C yet so it would not be criminal to eat that now.

The number one would be toast.

Toast with butter & Vegemite
Toast with butter & peanut butter
Toast with pan fried tomato & egg
Toast with seared liver & garlic spinach

All accompanied by a huge cup of tea.

My other must have if I’m sick is soup. Chicken broth with ginger & garlic with dim sims floating around in there, a whack of spring onion & a side of chillies in soy.

Chicken parm

Pot roast and mashed with gravy

Kyottkaker and gravy with mashed turnips

Roast turkey and all of the Thanksgiving trimmings (mashed, cornbread stuffing, pearl onions in cream, cranberry sauce, haricot vert)

Easter ham with mustard, Mother's cheese, asparagus, shredded beets and fresh horseradish, rye bread and Polish butter

Pea soup

Creamy tomato soup with basil

New England or Manhattan clam chowder

Devilled eggs

Shake-n-bake pork chops with apple sauce

Last edited:
Potato Pancakes with sour cream and applesauce. I could eat them standing over the stove. I add chopped onions to the mix. Grated apple is good too.

Last edited:
Eggs like my Mum did soft boiled and mixed with bits of buttered bread in a warm cup.
Baked beans on toast
Mashed potato
Gooey chocolate cake
Treacle sponge pudding
Pea and ham soup

Spot on @alexander

A perfect list of simple comfort foods - concise and evocative

You understood the Original Post, you didn't veer wildly off-topic, and you made a meaningful contribution to the thread

You get my vote for POST OF THE MONTH (August or September)

I am going to have to say mine is Peanut Butter Cookies. I love making them because they are so easy. Plus they are perfect with milk. As far as meals go its going to have to be meatloaf or pork chops with mashed potatoes and apple sauce. These items bring a comfort and joy in my kitchen like no other. :)

Mine

Mac and cheese
Mom's potato salad
Bean burgers like mom made from left over refried beans
Applesauce
Choclate or banana pudding
Grits
Grilled cheese sandwich
Molasses cookies
Banana bread
Oh i almost forgot...cheerios cereal...it was all of mom's kids first finger food.

Refried beans are gooey not sloppy, the liquid is cooked off and more of a paste

Refried bean burgers

Take a can worth of refried beans maybe 12ish oz. a little more a little less...whatever
A stack of saltines(not sure if europe has saltines or if they come in stacks) but saltines are certain crackers
3 eggs (4 if you like a firmer inside, egg is the binder that holds it together)
Chopped onions if you like them
And what ever seasoning you are into

Dump beans into bowl
Crush stack of crackers into smaller bits(not crushed into dust tho) and put in with bean
Crack the eggs and dump with the beans too
Add chopped onions if you want
Season as you like...i usually use Badia brand complete seasoning or everglades seasoning
Mix it together
Take a fry pan with a little spray oil and place on a burner set some where between low and medium unless you really like to watch them then cook a little higher but i'm a lazy cook and tend to wander so i cook at a lower temp.
Plop heaping tablespoon sized dolops of the mixture into the pan.
Cook on one side until It is the color of rust then flip and cook the other side the same making sure the insides aren't still gooey.
Serve on bun or without, good with salsa and guacamole.
Likely makes 8 to 12 patties. I usually end up with 9. They freeze well.

Lol, Saltines are the one cracker that said F-You to the political correctness movement regarding cardiovascular disease and a low-salt diet.

I will be making this soon as my wife loves veggie burgers, and olde tymey ideals of Conservative Republicanism.

Back
Top Bottom