Comfort food

sauseggbeans-2 s.jpg

Haven't had beans & franks in eons!! I want to make some baked beans of my own soon! :wink:

Where to start!:eek:

Reverse seared rib-eye, creamed spinach or greens and twice baked potato.
Crawfish, shrimp or chicken etouffee over rice.
Sauerbraten, kartoffelklosse and rotkohl.
Chicken and andouille gumbo over rice.
Jambalaya
Beef stew with jalapeno corn cakes.
Mac & cheese my way.
Real pulled pork and/or ribs, coleslaw and smoked beans.
Smoked turkey and fixins.
Red beans and rice.
Dirty rice.
Greens rolls and spicy Creole sauce
Ropa vieja over rice, Cuban style black beans and moduros or tostones.
Vaca frita with tuber hash and black beans
Tambor de maize
Chicken enchiladas with green sauce and refried black beans.
Various chilis

I know I've forgotten some. Some of these, I've posted recipes for.

What is that? I'm intrigued.

Don't know what that is, either...

Beanjar. A local 'speciality' it's a dish in the long line of peasant foods which used simple ingredients to make a tasty, nutritious meal, even if in this day and age they would be classed as unhealthy. This is in the tradition of Boston Baked Beans or Cassoulet but rather simpler.

My own recipe calls for a mix of haricot beans and butter beans, a pork hock, piece of beef shin, onions, stock, bay leaf, parsley, thyme and pepper with salt added at the end. Traditionally it all goes into a large ceramic dish called a 'beanjar' and then cooked over a low heat for 5 or 6 hours. You then strip the meat off the bones, remove the bones and then cook to a fairly thick 'stewlike' consistency. You can either add the salt at the end or leave peeps to add salt to their taste at the table. Normally served with plenty of crusty French bread plastered with Guernsey butter.

In the 'olden days' Mrs Batiste or Mrs Le Flem or Mrs de la Mare would make up the beanjar and then take it down to the local bakers who would pop it in their oven after their daily baking session, the beanjar would then cook overnight in the residual heat. They would then collect their beanjar the following day and finish off the cooking at home. Local tradition has it that beanjar is always better the second day, much thicker.
It also has the tradition of being very 'windy' and whenever someone mentions they've had beanjar it's always a cue for jokes about opening windows etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/articles/2004/07/22/bean_jar_feature.shtml

Fish finger sanga = Fish finger sandwich.

Beanjar. A local 'speciality' it's a dish in the long line of peasant foods which used simple ingredients to make a tasty, nutritious meal, even if in this day and age they would be classed as unhealthy. This is in the tradition of Boston Baked Beans or Cassoulet but rather simpler.

My own recipe calls for a mix of haricot beans and butter beans, a pork hock, piece of beef shin, onions, stock, bay leaf, parsley, thyme and pepper with salt added at the end. Traditionally it all goes into a large ceramic dish called a 'beanjar' and then cooked over a low heat for 5 or 6 hours. You then strip the meat off the bones, remove the bones and then cook to a fairly thick 'stewlike' consistency. You can either add the salt at the end or leave peeps to add salt to their taste at the table. Normally served with plenty of crusty French bread plastered with Guernsey butter.

In the 'olden days' Mrs Batiste or Mrs Le Flem or Mrs de la Mare would make up the beanjar and then take it down to the local bakers who would pop it in their oven after their daily baking session, the beanjar would then cook overnight in the residual heat. They would then collect their beanjar the following day and finish off the cooking at home. Local tradition has it that beanjar is always better the second day, much thicker.
It also has the tradition of being very 'windy' and whenever someone mentions they've had beanjar it's always a cue for jokes about opening windows etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/articles/2004/07/22/bean_jar_feature.shtml

Sounds very delicious! I think I'll move these posts to a new thread so they aren't lost in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom