Confusion about British Food

There is also the odd instance of things having the same name, but different pronunciation. An obvious example is oregano, but I suppose it doesn't matter too much in a written medium.

There are quite a few of those: herb, vitamin, tomato, also lots of Spanish words which Americans pronounce more authentically: paella for example is I think pronounced Pah-EH-yah in the States.

Also 'fillet' is often pronounced in a more authentic French way in the US - as Fil-AY rather than Fil-ET or Fil-UT

Then there is Pasta - we say Pasta with a flat 'a' (as in 'hat'). American say Pasta with a long 'a' as in 'master' - although there are regional variations on how master is pronounced in the UK! There are lots more examples.

Things like that only bother me when people get things wrong because they think they are being clever. Take, for example, the affected types who ask for a "lar-tay" when they want a latte. No, just no, just no.

What do Mercans call mushy peas?

I call them something I don't eat, and I don't know anyone who does.

I know they are often served with fried fish, but what else? Fried fish here is served with fries and/or hush puppies and/or coleslaw.

I know they are often served with fried fish, but what else?

Pies!

I love them on their own a bit of vinegar. I'm not a fan of fresh peas and will only eat a small amount at a time - I find them too sweet. But mushy peas have a lovely earthy flavour. They can be used in dhals and soups too. Great with Indian spices.

Here is an Indian recipe:

https://zestysouthindiankitchen.com/mattar-dal-amti-spilt-green-peas-cooked/

DSC_0031.JPG

We don't seem to do mushy peas here. So there's no name.

Do you have dried split green peas? Mushy peas can be made from whole dried green peas or split green dried. I generally use the latter.

Last edited:
Do you have dried split green peas? Mushy peas can be made from whole dried green peas or split green dried. I generally use the latter.

I'll only eat fresh or frozen peas.

Yes, we have dried split peas. I know people use them to make split pea soup, but other than that??

I'll only eat fresh or frozen peas.

Yes, we have dried split peas. I know people use them to make split pea soup, but other than that??

Do you mean the yellow ones? They are most often used for soup. But in India, for dhal.

The thing is, peas are similar to a pulse and can be dried. Mung beans are in fact a type of pea. So dried peas are excellent for using in all kinds of Indian dhal like dishes.

Last edited:
There is also pease pudding (and yes, there is an e at the end), usually made with split yellow peas that is something you see commonly in the north-east of England, though I've seen it elsewhere now and then. I've even heard it called Geordie hummus, though I suspect that is a recent invention and probably a rather patronising one.

Traditionally in Yorkshire, in additional to accompanying fish and chips, mushy peas are served with hot pork pies.

pork pie 4 s.jpg

However, this is a steak and kidney pie with mushy peas and gravy. I understand that Australians would call this a "pie floater".

piepease s.jpg

I believe there's a place in Auckland that do pie floaters? Next time I'm up,there I will check it out. We used to have a pie cart here in Chch, I went there a few times after Sunday sessions,lol.

Russ

Regards mushy peas....

When I was little, I hated peas.

But I thought one night when confronted with those dreaded peas...

I liked mashed potatoes but cared less for whole roasted/baked ones.

So I started mashing my peas with my spoon or fork. I'd figured that mashed (or mushy?) peas must taste better than whole ones, if potatoes tasted better mashed or mushy than whole...

"STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR FOOD!" "But, but...." "NO!!!"

THAT experiment was nipped in the bud, and my six or whatever year old self didn't get to experiment with improving peas until I was in college.

(I now since do appreciate peas in most any form, more so for certain than when I was a kid.)

Regards mushy peas....

When I was little, I hated peas.

But I thought one night when confronted with those dreaded peas...

I liked mashed potatoes but cared less for whole roasted/baked ones.

So I started mashing my peas with my spoon or fork. I'd figured that mashed (or mushy?) peas must taste better than whole ones, if potatoes tasted better mashed or mushy than whole...

"STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR FOOD!" "But, but...." "NO!!!"

THAT experiment was nipped in the bud, and my six or whatever year old self didn't get to experiment with improving peas until I was in college.

(I now since do appreciate peas in most any form, more so for certain than when I was a kid.)

You would prolly like vege samosas.?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom