Cooking haggis in slices for breakfast

ScandiBrit

Local time
9:38 AM
Hi

I have some yummy haggis which I want to slice and cook for breakfast, but experience shows when I slice it then try frying it, it crumbles up. Anyone with some tips please?

Thanks

Richard

I’ve never done that before, but maybe make sure it’s very chilled or even slice, freeze (partly or all the way), and fry it from that, like a grocery store frozen preformed burger patty? 🤷🏻

It will almost certainly crumble. Sadly I don't think there is much you can do about that. But you could take advantage of the crumble and make a breakfast hash.

What is it, please? :unsure:

It's either a Scottish or an Irish classical dish. I think it was a goat stomach filled with various offal, like kidney, liver... well basically everything edible you can find in a sheep. Cooked in a rich meat broth until everything is tender.
You can also break it apart beforehand, mix it with some well seasoned eggs and fry it in the pan. You don't need much egg, just so it holds tight.

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish, typically served on Burn's Night (although eaten all year round)
It's basically a sheep's stomach stuffed with minced heart, lungs, liver, oatmeal and spices.
Sounds revolting, perhaps, but it's actually quite pleasant, especially when washed down with some fine Scotch whisky!

Back
Top Bottom