Cooking Oil

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
8:19 AM
There are a lot of different kinds of cooking oil out there. Some of them evaporate at different temperatures (called a flash point), some of them burn easily or turn into smoke, some clump into solids, some are runny, others still are cloying... some carry on unmistakable flavors into the food and even aromas, whereas others are mixed up to be as invisible to the palate as possible.

Which is your favorite? If you could only cook with one type of oil for ever, which would you pick?

Vegetable oil? Animal fats or butter? Coconut oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, bacon grease drippings?

My favorite type of oil to use is extra virgin olive oil because it is so versatile. I use for it everything from frying chicken strips to making enchilada sauce to baking. I also enjoy using coconut oil especially for frying because it is so much healthier. I don't care for the texture of coconut oil while it is in the jar but I manage to get past that. There are so many health benefits to coconut oil that it really should be a staple in every kitchen!

I've heard a lot online about how palm oil is actually really healthy, which confused me because the local corporation politics basically tried to take the industry down by saying that the chunky white floating stuff in the oil turns into chunky fatty stuff in your body.

But I doubt I'd have a refined enough palate to go, "Eww, these pancakes were fried in sunflower oil and it really clashes with the butter!"

I love Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use it for so many things. It taste wonderful with most things. But if it was the only oil I could use I'd probably switch to real butter. Just because I don't think sweets and oil would go well together.

I love Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use it for so many things. It taste wonderful with most things. But if it was the only oil I could use I'd probably switch to real butter. Just because I don't think sweets and oil would go well together.

While some stuff I've read advises against extra virgin olive oil for cooking, saying that it's more for a salad, I have seen a recipe for loukoumades (deep-fried donuts) that traditionally involves a deep-fry in olive oil, because it's so Greek that way. And, I read in some issue or other of Oprah magazine that a dollop of olive oil on vanilla ice cream brings out the flavor and texture more!

True, though, it's difficult for me to think up of a food that butter doesn't match well with.

We used Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Canola Oil for our cooking at home. Both had its own useful way to make foods taste better either in sauteing, frying, salad dressing preparation etc.

I pretty much only use canola oil or olive oil. I use mainly canola to cook in general, then I use olive oil to put on salad, sauces and stuff like that. Ever since I started to use canola oil I won't use anything else. It's my favorite and it's healthier than the regular choices.

I pretty much only use extra virgin olive oil. As far as I know, it's the healthiest oil to cook with and I just really like the taste!

I usually just use canola oil because it's what I've grown accustomed to. Sometimes I'd use olive oil as well but I honestly don't really like the taste and smell that much even though in some dishes I admit that it's preferable.

Back
Top Bottom