Cooking Queries! - Cooking Skills Questionnaire

14. Made a jello salad? NO, and ew? wtf
I vaguely remember discussing Jell-O salads here quite a while ago.

Jello salad - Wikipedia

I've never terribly minded the sweet ones (Jell-O with fruit and marshmallows in it), it's the sweet-savory ones I can't abide; lime Jell-O with carrots and celery in it...no. No. No. No.

That's how I interpreted it, but judging by the standard of question I think I'm wrong.

I think you are too. I don't think this questionnaire is aimed at any kind of serious cooks. I'm not sure what its trying to do... usually these questionnaires/quizzes are prefaced by a premise.

I vaguely remember discussing Jell-O salads here quite a while ago.

Jello salad - Wikipedia

I've never terribly minded the sweet ones (Jell-O with fruit and marshmallows in it), it's the sweet-savory ones I can't abide; lime Jell-O with carrots and celery in it...no. No. No. No.

Yeah but.. mayo with jello.. I mean mayo is a Dutch staple but even I can't imagine this horror :laugh:

1. Made biscuits from scratch? What other way is there?
2. Fried fresh okra? Yes. I wish I had some.
3.Made sourdough bread? no
4. Fried chicken? Yes. Soaked in buttermilk then breaded and fried the southern way.
5. Made spaghetti sauce from scratch? no
6. Made any kind of yeast bread? Yes, 2-3 times a month.
7. Baked a cake from scratch? Yes
8. Made icing from scratch? Yes. Several different kinds. I don't know what it's called but I like the one that is whipped egg whites and a sugar syrup the best. It's not as sweet.
9. Cooked a pot roast with all the veggies? Yes
10. Made chili from scratch? Yes. Both vegetarian and carnivore.
11. Made a meatloaf? Yes.
12. Made scalloped potatoes? Yes
13. Made mac/cheese from scratch? Yes, Many times but JASOH's recipe was the best.
14. Made a jello salad? Yes, and I"d rather not think about it.
15. Made peanut brittle? Yes. It was my mothers favorite candy so I made it for her occasionally.
16. Made fudge? Yes. It's my wifes favorite candy so I make it occasionally for her.
17. Made cookies from scratch? Yes
18. Cooked a pot of beans from dried beans? Yes.
19. Cooked a pot of greens? Yes
20. Made cornbread from scratch? yes
21. Make a pie dough from scratch? yes lots of times.
22. Cooked a whole turkey? Yes.
23. Snapped green beans and cooked them? Yes.
24. Made mashed potatoes from scratch? Yes.
25. What’s the most people you have (alone main dishes) prepared a whole meal for? 12. I did a thanksgiving day with all the traditional dishes although I put bacon in absolutely everything, I was on a bacon kick. And I added the traditional tamales, home made of course. I always have to do lots of different sides for all the vegetarians.
26. Poached an egg? yes
27. Made pancakes from scratch? Yes
28. Roasted vegetables in the oven instead of boiling them? Yes
29. Made fresh pasta? Do egg noodles count? If so, yes.
30. Made croissants from scratch? No.
31. Made tuna salad? Yes
32. Fried fish? yes
33. Made baked beans? No
34. Made ice cream from scratch? yes
35. Made jam or jelly? yes
36. Zested an orange or lemon? Yes
37. Made grits from scratch What are grits, really? no.
38. Made an omelet? Yes
39. Lived in a house without a dishwasher? Most of my life.

cooking skills questionnaire:
Have you ever-

1. Made biscuits from scratch? yes
2. Fried fresh okra? No. What's okra?
3.Made sourdough bread? no
4. Fried chicken? Yes,
5. Made spaghetti sauce from scratch? yes Yesterday for the first time
6. Made any kind of yeast bread? Yes
7. Baked a cake from scratch? Yes
8. Made icing from scratch? Yes
9. Cooked a pot roast with all the veggies? No
10. Made chili from scratch? Yes.
11. Made a meatloaf? Yes.
12. Made scalloped potatoes? Yes
13. Made mac/cheese from scratch? No What's Mac/Cheese?
14. Made a jello salad? No
15. Made peanut brittle? No.
16. Made fudge? No.
17. Made cookies from scratch? Yes
18. Cooked a pot of beans from dried beans? No
19. Cooked a pot of greens? Yes,
20. Made cornbread from scratch? No
21. Make a pie dough from scratch? Yes.
22. Cooked a whole turkey? Yes.
23. Snapped green beans and cooked them? Yes/No Don't know snapped greens!!
24. Made mashed potatoes from scratch? Yes. SO MUCH BETTER. Than what?
25. What’s the most people you have (alone main dishes) prepared a whole meal for? 4
26. Poached an egg? yes
27. Made pancakes from scratch? Yes!
28. Roasted vegetables in the oven instead of boiling them? Yes
29. Made fresh pasta? No
30. Made croissants from scratch? No. But its a plan
31. Made tuna salad? Yes
32. Fried fish? yes
33. Made baked beans? Only from a can. Ditto
34. Made ice cream from scratch? No
35. Made jam or jelly? Yes
36. Zested an orange or lemon? Yes
37. Made grits from scratch? ??? What is Grits
38. Made an omelette? Yes
39. Lived in a house without a dishwasher? Yes
40. Eaten a bowl of cereal for supper? Yes,

I think you are too. I don't think this questionnaire is aimed at any kind of serious cooks. I'm not sure what its trying to do... usually these questionnaires/quizzes are prefaced by a premise.

I define sauce from scratch as starting with canned San Marzano whole tomatoes. They are just better than what I can get fresh. Sooooo, MY rules say my answer of "YES" is correct. I'll have my lawyers standing by. :wink:

CD

Before I started to grow my own paste toms and freezing the basic sauce for winter I would agree with you.

Growing my own tomatoes is not a practical option for me. During non-pandemic years, I travel too much. I have to stick with heat and dry tolerant plants, like chilis and some herbs.

CD

No What's Mac/Cheese?

This is an American questionnaire so lots of the questions will not be familiar to a UK audience. Mac 'n Cheese is just short for what we call Macaroni Cheese.

. Fried fresh okra? No. What's okra?

Okra is often used here in Indian dishes and is available from the supermarket. It looks like this:

In the USA it is often used in Southern style dishes such as gumbo.

37. Made grits from scratch? ??? What is Grits

Its a sort of porridge made of cornmeal which is a traditional dish in parts of the USA. Its a bit like coarse version of polenta, if you have ever had that. Its not really known in the UK.

MY rules say my answer of "YES" is correct. I'll have my lawyers standing by. :wink:

CD
"I put it to you, caseydog, that on the morning of July the 12th, 19 and 96, that you did, with malice aforethought, open a can of San Marzano tomatoes, and proceed to use said tomatoes in the production of a spaghetti sauce <whips around frantically and points accusing finger at CD> that you then CLAIMED WAS HOMEMADE!!!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case."

That's from "Perry Mason: The Culinary Crimes." :laugh:

This is an American questionnaire so lots of the questions will not be familiar to a UK audience. Mac 'n Cheese is just short for what we call Macaroni Cheese.
I don't know why, but the common shortening of macaroni-and-cheese to mac-n-cheese (and its variations), is extremely irritating to me. I've done it sparingly in the past, but I always feel cheap and dirty afterwards. :laugh:

I don't know why, but the common shortening of macaroni-and-cheese to mac-n-cheese (and its variations), is extremely irritating to me. I've done it sparingly in the past, but I always feel cheap and dirty afterwards. :laugh:

I feel exactly the same. I pretty well hate any abbreviations for food (or maybe other things?).'Mayo' and 'EVOO' also irritate me a lot. 'EVOO' is not used at all in the UK. Why is it in caps, anyway? 'Mayo' is sometimes used but not as much as in the US.

Okra is often used here in Indian dishes and is available from the supermarket. It looks like this:

View attachment 44454

In the USA it is often used in Southern style dishes such as gumbo.

Its a sort of porridge made of cornmeal which is a traditional dish in parts of the USA. Its a bit like coarse version of polenta, if you have ever had that. Its not really known in the UK.

Gumbo is a west African word for okra.

Back
Top Bottom