Cooking Terms and Definitions

These points are courtesy of Food & Wine:

"While the difference between stock and broth is minimal, the two cooking liquids are made from different ingredients. According to F&W Executive Food Editor Kate Heddings, stock needs to be made with bones, in addition to a mirepoix, a mix of carrots, onions and celery. At its most basic, broth is simply any liquid that meat has been cooked in. However, the most common way to make broth is take stock and add additional meat, vegetables and salt to the liquid itself (traditional stock is unseasoned)."

"Stock develops a substantive body as the bones and any attached cartilage release collagen and gelatin into the liquid while cooking. If you happen to make broth without using stock, it will have a different texture and lack the sumptuousness that stock provides."

"'Broth is something you sip and stock is something you cook with.' Stock is used as a base in sauces and soups, but its role is to provide body rather than flavor. Broth, on the other hand, is designed to be flavorful and tasty enough to simply drink by itself, which is why the additional salt is so important."

That's more than I ever wanted to know. :)
And those definitions are incomplete. I don't recommend diving any deeper into this, it's one of those things where the more you learn, the less you know.

I never liked the store bought broths, as I always felt that they were too watery and lacked any depth. Now I know why.

Today's term and definition is 'timbale'.

Timbale has two definitions in cooking. 1) a kettle drum shaped cooking mold pan/pot or 2) a food item cooked in a timbale which takes on the shape of a kettle drum. A timbale pan may also be a shallow kettle drum shaped serving pan for side dishes.

Sauce vierge is a type of sauce made from tomato, olives, olive oil and lemon juice as its main ingredients. It may include anchovy as well, being similar to tapenade. Vierge is French for 'virgin' and implies a virgin sauce, - one that is uncooked. It can often be used as a condiment topping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sauce vierge is a type of sauce made from tomato, olives, olive oil and lemon juice as its main ingredients. It may include anchovy as well, being similar to tapenade. Vierge is French for 'virgin' and implies a virgin sauce, - one that is uncooked. It can often be used as a condiment topping.
Been making it for 30 years. Personally I think it more resembles a pico de gallo than a tapenade. I've never seen one with olives and anchovy. Classically it's tomato with lots of evoo, shallot, vinegar, garlic and herbs. Key is a good extra virgin. I always use a maldon type salt and I usually served this with fish in the summer. It's a great condiment and I'm sure olives an anchovy would work well.

The sauce vierge wiki makes the sauce defined more basically, but it appears to be very flexible, depending upon the chef.

Here's another term that has two definitions, - infusion.

Infusion is 1) extracting a flavor by steeping an ingredient in water and 2) flavoring a sauce by the addition of various spices and herbs during the cooking of the sauce.

Originally it was a butter and lemon sauce, then tomatoes were added, then modern cooking took over......food evolves for sure and it has for this recipe. I like olives and black olives would be my choice and I also use mostly a cherry, grape type of tomato and I also heat them up for 5 or ten minutes in the oven, let them cool down and then proceed with the recipe. Coriander seed is used a lot as well in the modern version, and I've used them but prefer without.

It may include anchovy as well, being similar to tapenade. V
A sauce vierge is basically tomatoes, skinned and deseeded, olive oil, lemon (or vinegar) and herbs (often basil). It´s more of a vinaigrette than a tapenade, which by definition, must contain capers and always contains olives.
Great with fish!

Back
Top Bottom