Cooking Terms and Definitions

m used in the UK (or Europe?) in Here's another one:

I'm making a salad later, during which I will supreme an orange.

From Wikipedia: "To supreme a citrus fruit is to remove the skin, pith, membranes, and seeds, and to separate its segments. Used as a noun, a supreme can be a wedge of citrus fruit prepared in this way."

Its not a term used in the UK. Its a term I had to ask of medtran49 what it meant a while back. I'm not sure if its a French term?

Last edited:
Its not a term used in the UK. Its a term I had to ask of medtran49 what it meant a while back. I'm not sure if its a French term...?
I don't know for sure the origin, but I do remember being told that when using the word this way, it's not pronounced su-PREEM, like we'd normally say here, but like su-PREM.

But the truth is, I hear trained cooks say the former much more than I hear them say the latter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've been cooking my spaghetti sauce all morning and learned a new term while reviewing comments in the thread about creating a great spaghetti sauce.

Concasse: To chop up ingredients (vegetables mostly) roughly. For tomatoes, concasse includes skinning and removing seeds, but chopped more to specific dimensions (less roughly).

I don't know for sure the origin, but I do remember being told that when using the word this way, it's not pronounced su-PREEM, like we'd normally say here, but like su-PREM.

But the truth is, I hear trained cooks say the former much more than I hear them say the latter. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Originally I believe it was specific to fowl dishes, generally boneless with winglet attached with truffles and a cream sauce. Escoffier had a few recipes describing it on menus that way. I believe the term supreme has evolved to mean the "best of something" and I've seen supreme in other proteins as well like fish. And I have heard the term supreme of citrus which is basically cleaned meticulous sections of citrus, or the best of....It's not used much anymore. The airline industry milked the term supreme of chicken for years.

I've been cooking my spaghetti sauce all morning and learned a new term while reviewing comments in the thread about creating a great spaghetti sauce.

Concasse: To chop up ingredients (vegetables mostly) roughly. For tomatoes, concasse includes skinning and removing seeds, but chopped more to specific dimensions (less roughly).
Love a good concasse. My 2 favorite applications are bruschetta and salsa and for a sauce I like it in a choron sauce which is just a bearnaise sauce with tomato concasse added.

Well "bricolage" is originally from construction and art - using bits and pieces to make something new. I´ve never heard it used as a culinary term, but I don´t see why it shouldn´t apply.
My favourite term is chiffonade. That´s the way to roll up herbs into a tight cigarette-like tube then cut them up finely, crosswise.

While I was in Mexico city a couple of years back, we went for brunch at a restaurant called "Fisher´s". The dish I ate was "Huevos Rancheros Tatemados" - the Mexican cooking term "tatemado" means grill, or toast lightly, either on an open flame or on a hot plate. In other words: don´t burn it, don´t overdo it, just make sure it´s marked on the grill/flame/hotplate.

If someone has the desire to become a better cook then understanding the importance of Mise en place which is having all ingredients ready to go before any actual cooking or composition takes place. It encourages a calm and confident mentality which results in fewer errors generally and reinforces a persons focus.

If someone has the desire to become a better cook then understanding the importance of Mise en place which is having all ingredients ready to go before any actual cooking or composition takes place. It encourages a calm and confident mentality which results in fewer errors generally and reinforces a persons focus.

I live by it.

CD

Taste vs flavor (or flavour if that's how you say it). They're often mistaken for one another, but taste is simply the signals your tongue sends to the brain, the main ones being salty, sour, sweet, savory, and bitter.

Flavor, on the other hand, is the entire experience of sensing food, and combines taste, aroma, and mouthfeel. To make really great food, you have to hit all these notes, not just taste alone.

Well "bricolage" is originally from construction and art - using bits and pieces to make something new. I´ve never heard it used as a culinary term, but I don´t see why it shouldn´t apply.
My favourite term is chiffonade. That´s the way to roll up herbs into a tight cigarette-like tube then cut them up finely, crosswise.

Don't you mean to cut them lengthwise. Chiffonade is to cut leaves into long strips.

Back
Top Bottom