Cooking utensil illustrations, images and charts

Image edited according to tips on Wed Oct 7.
kitchen utensils.png

Original image: Amazon
Edit: ice cream spoon turned into scoop, (silicone) spatula turned into spatula/scraper and solid and slotted spoons turned into spatulas.

Last edited:
Hemulen, the only difference I see to US names is that some of us call the two "turners" spatulas. Others say turner. It may be a regional thing. I don't know.

I don't know what a "pusher" is.

CD

Okay, I did some research, and found a few sources that said a "pusher" is a victorian era utensil used to "push" food onto a fork, or off of a serving plater. That's all I could find.

CD

and it's a tube pan because angel food cake is unknown everywhere . . .

and Dutch oven has zilch to with what happened in the Netherlands - the term is a reference to metal casting technique originally developed/perfected in Holland. in Europe a Dutch oven had no legs - legs were added in USA for the wild west frontier; and the legs later evaporated from the Dutch oven.

fascinating topic/effort/illustrations/labels - but doomed because there are so many names for the same thing.

and so many variation of 'the same thing' - to wit: "can opener"

the "wok turner" is not my "wok spatula" but a "wok scraper"
and a flat bladed thing aka spatula for flipping stuff in a fry pan is not the same as a cupped rubber spatula used to fold 'stuff' into whipped egg whites of a souffle in a bowl.

good job - need more pix/labels.

This is beginning to remind me of a former member who was on a mission to identify and cross reference all cuts of meat in every country. Its was/is a complicated minefield and pretty well doomed from the start.

I've not heard or seen a pusher either. In the UK turners are generally called spatulas not turners (which is slightly confusing because the term spatula also refers to the narrow flat bladed spatula often used in cake making). Similarly in French they are called 'spatule'. A 'turner' in the UK is also sometimes called a 'fish slice'.

P.S. In the UK we also call the item labelled as a spatula in the diagram 'spatula'!

In the UK the ice cream spoon in the diagram is called an ice-cream scoop.

A bit of investigation - the diagram emanates from an Indian source as far as I can tell. Here is a close-up of a photograph of the pusher from the same source. I still haven't a clue what it is!

Last edited:
I've not heard or seen a pusher either. In the UK turners are generally called spatulas not turners (which is slightly confusing because the term spatula also refers to the narrow flat bladed spatula often used in cake making). Similarly in French they are called 'spatule'. A 'turner' in the UK is also sometimes called a 'fish slice'.

P.S. In the UK we also call the item labelled as a spatula in the diagram 'spatula'!

In the UK the ice cream spoon in the diagram is called an ice-cream scoop.

That's pretty much the same in the US for spatulas. I didn't notice the ice cream "spoon," which we also call a scoop.

CD

^ Thanks, all. The original images and names are not by me. I'll change the two turners into spatulas, rename the ice cream scoop, turn the silicone spatula into spatula/scraper (as it is used for e.g. scraping dough from the bowl, spreading frosting and folding froth into batter) and replace the pusher with a masher.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom