Cooking with lavender

epicuric

Veteran
Staff member
Local time
5:57 AM
D0AEB09C-5062-48A5-BA91-B97B1F01275F.jpeg

I’m currently surrounded by lavender bushes, and keen to find a culinary use for them. I have come across a few recipes for sweet dishes that use lavender, but sweet dishes are really not my thing. I am struggling to find any savoury dishes (veg, meat or fish) that use lavender. I have a couple of ideas, but any suggestions would be very welcome

MypinchofItaly

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
6:57 AM
Website
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
View attachment 25385
I’m currently surrounded by lavender bushes, and keen to find a culinary use for them. I have come across a few recipes for sweet dishes that use lavender, but sweet dishes are really not my thing. I am struggling to find any savoury dishes (veg, meat or fish) that use lavender. I have a couple of ideas, but any suggestions would be very welcome
Unfortunately I have no familiarity with either the savory dishes based on lavender, or the sweet ones. I only made cookies once, but I had the feeling of chewing the washing-up liquid (good lavander cookies are another thing, I know).
Then? I join your request about suggestions

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
I think lavender can be used in the sort of recipes to which you might add Rosemary. So roast lamb for example. But you need to be sparing.

Karen W

Local time
9:57 PM
How about making lavender salt? Combining the dried leaves with fleur de sel or sea salt, and storing it in a pretty airtight jar? There are some ez methods on the web. Perhaps use the salt as a rub for beef, on lamb (chops), on roast chicken, fish, scallops, in soups, salads, on fruits (melon, watermelon), Margaritas?

epicuric

Veteran
Staff member
Local time
How about making lavender salt? Combining the dried leaves with fleur de sel or sea salt, and storing it in a pretty airtight jar? There are some ez methods on the web. Perhaps use the salt as a rub for beef, on lamb (chops), on roast chicken, fish, scallops, in soups, salads, on fruits (melon, watermelon), Margaritas?
Great idea! That will have to wait until I get home though.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
I've found a few great ideas in a marvellous book by Chef Paul Gayler. I'll photograph and post them. Fowl does seem a good way to go based on the recipes there so yes to duck. Paul Gayler is not a TV chef so not very well known - but I can thoroughly recommend. He is often vegetarian friendly too.

Karen W

Local time
9:57 PM
It also occurred to me to make lavender homemade pasta. Perhaps dry the lavender first? A light, buttery, lemony sauce topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or sprinkling of fresh flat-leaf parsley might be nice.

Top Bottom