CookingBites Dish of the Month (July): Indian Food

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:22 PM
Each month we choose a different and accessible dish (or type of cuisine) so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. This month, Indian Food has been chosen. To make it easier, this includes Indian fusion dishes.

indian-food-640.jpg

Please join in and tell us about the Indian dishes you create during July. Innovation is positively encouraged. All you need to do is post a description and/or photo of your dish. If you want to post a recipe please post it as new thread and link back to this thread. PM me (or another moderator) if you need help to do this.

Last edited:
Pretty broad subject. Should it be narrowed down to a particular dish or category of dishes?

Pretty broad subject. Should it be narrowed down to a particular dish or category of dishes?

Sorry - I know its broad. Its all about getting participants really - the old Cookalong (in hibernation) was very specific and had very few entries towards the end. Personally, I much prefer a more specific topic to get my head round. But I'm an obsessive cook and I'll attempt anything, however specific. I don't take this 'challenge' too seriously. Its simply a participation thing. Its not even really strictly speaking a challenge. The Recipe Challenge and forthcoming Prize Challenge (I'll be posting this up in a day or so) are much more specific - and therefore much more challenging.

Its a difficult balancing act - too narrow and we get very few folk participating. Trouble is we are not a forum with a lot of active members and not all of them participate in these things. If we had a bigger active membership then it would be much more viable.

If enough others want to we could narrow down 'Indian food' but I'm aware that we are already in July... and we've had one round of voting already.

I cooked it on Saturday (last month) but I'll be eating the second portion tomorrow (with what, I do not yet know). Chicken Kohlapuri.

Time to perfect my butter chicken, I'm 90 % happy with it. Just the juggling of spices to get it right. I'll post when I do it, prolly in weekend.

Do you add cream or yoghurt? Decent cream is difficult to obtain here so I add yoghurt.

I haven't cooked it for a while, mainly because it doesn't freeze well (or should I say doesn't defrost well). I usually cook 4 portions at one time but my wife doesn't eat it because of the lactose.

Last edited:
Do you add cream or yoghurt? Decent cream is difficult to obtain here so I add yoghurt.

Heavy cream, being a dairy nation our cream is very good quality, it's not called clotted but it's dam close!! I had clotted cream when in Cornwall. It's close IMO.

Russ

Is she lactose intolerant or is it 'cos being Thai she doesn't like dairy?

She drinks milk in small quantities (mixed with something else). Cheese is a no-no; butter also. I think it's just that she does not like most dairy products.

She's not alone.......

worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_recent_populations.jpg

Lactose and gluten stuff, never heard of any of this malarkey when growing up. Same as Tourettes or ocd, never saw any of this as well? Crazy!!

Russ

Lactose and gluten stuff, never heard of any of this malarkey when growing up. Same as Tourettes or ocd, never saw any of this as well? Crazy!!

Russ

Not being able to tolerate dairy is NOT a new thing. They may not have used the word "lactose", but it's a long-standing thing I knew about when I was a young'un. (As in, the Chinese don't cook with dairy because it doesn't agree with (most of) them, which is why you NEVER see dairy dishes in Chinese restaurants. (Crab Rangoon is NOT Chinese...))

The studies on genetic dairy tolerance / intolerance are of long standing. There were genetic mutations that arouse in a couple of populations around the world that allowed humans related to those populations to better digest dairy / lactose -- before that, humans were all pretty much lactose intolerant (after infancy and very early childhood).

Back
Top Bottom