CookingBites Dish of the Month (July): Indian Food

Chicken and Black-eye Beans.

View attachment 29391

This looks good! Oddly enough this is the third time recently I've seen curries with black-eyed beans posted (the other two were on another forum). I'd never come across black-eyed beans being used in a curry before (or really, for that matter any dried beans). Lentils, mung beans (which are actually peas) etc. but not beans. I really don't know why. Maybe I just never noticed - or maybe most Indian cookbooks don't have beans in curry recipes. I don't think, for example, that I've ever seen beans in a dish in and Indian restaurant (other than green beans).

P1060141fbtn.jpg
P1060139fb.jpg

I made these two days ago. My first attempt at this quintessential Indian street food sweet.....Jalebi. Was really happy with the result taste wise even though my piping skills left a bit to be desired at times. Just added to that street food authenticity look....is what I told myself.

View attachment 29474 View attachment 29475

I made these two days ago. My first attempt at this quintessential Indian street food sweet.....Jalebi. Was really happy with the result taste wise even though my piping skills left a bit to be desired at times. Just added to that street food authenticity look....is what I told myself.

Blimey! I need sunglasses - how did they taste?

Blimey! I need sunglasses - how did they taste?

They were absolutely delicious if I do say so myself, and reminiscent of my experiences eating this in India and also of my time living and working in Fiji where my closest market sold them. They are bright due to the addition of food colouring which is the norm.

Twenty five plus years ago I used to enjoy chicken shashlik in a restaurant close to where I lived in UK. I tried to emulate it here in Thailand about 12 years ago but it was a failure. I don't know why it was a failure but it dissuaded me from trying again until earlier this year when I found a different recipe (which didn't contain vinegar) so I thought "why not". It turned out significantly better. I plan to cook some more this month to post on this thread.

This is the chicken and the marinade. It will be Saturday before I get around to cooking it.

I'm planning spring roll style samosas on Tuesday. I'll try and persuade my wife to make at least some of them triangular.

Back
Top Bottom