CookingBites Dish of the Month (March): Burgers

I've been considering a bacon burger (beef patty and bacon). However, whereas in my opinion, a beef burger is satisfactory with either ketchup or mustard, bacon is not. Perhaps just beef, bacon, mashed cooked tomatoes and pepper (lotsa pepper). Perhaps a poached egg on the top just to make a mess?

Maybe next week.

:bbq:Olive and Spinach Cheeseburger

Olive-burger-uncovered.jpg

Olive-burger-half.jpg

Yes - any interpretation of a burger.
Having been away a lot lately I have not had much time to contribute to this, but with a few days off I have some plans. The first thing that strikes me is the question "what is a burger?". Is it the round disk of meat (the 'pattie') or is it the construction of elements within a bun? I dug out three burger recipe books off the bookshelf and all gave different definitions.
IMG_1141a.jpg

The majority of recipes contained in these books centre on a formed disk (the 'pattie') of minced meat, with the occasional fish or veg alternative. On the other hand, there is the now ubiquitous 'pulled pork burger' that is neither minced or formed into a pattie. Take away the trimmings and does this not become a 'hot pork bap'? What differentiates between a burger and a hot bap?

Having been away a lot lately I have not had much time to contribute to this, but with a few days off I have some plans. The first thing that strikes me is the question "what is a burger?". Is it the round disk of meat (the 'pattie') or is it the construction of elements within a bun? I dug out three burger recipe books off the bookshelf and all gave different definitions.View attachment 23190
The majority of recipes contained in these books centre on a formed disk (the 'pattie') of minced meat, with the occasional fish or veg alternative. On the other hand, there is the now ubiquitous 'pulled pork burger' that is neither minced or formed into a pattie. Take away the trimmings and does this not become a 'hot pork bap'? What differentiates between a burger and a hot bap?

I call those sandwiches as they are called at most BBQ joints! Sometimes I'll put a vinegar based slaw on top of the pork along with the BBQ sauce.

Having been away a lot lately I have not had much time to contribute to this, but with a few days off I have some plans. The first thing that strikes me is the question "what is a burger?".

Here is one of my favorite quotes:
“In twentieth-century Old Earth, a fast food chain took dead cow meat, fried it in grease, added carcinogens, wrapped it in petroleum-based foam, and sold nine hundred billion units. Human beings. Go figure.” - Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Back
Top Bottom