CookingBites Dish of the Month (October): Gratin

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:01 AM
Each month we choose a different and accessible dish so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. This month's dish is the 'Gratin'. We are interpreting this in the widest sense to include layered oven-baked dishes such as the classic Potato Dauphinoise or dishes baked in the oven 'au gratin' (with a browned topping). Although usually savoury, a gratin can be made as a sweet dish too. Plus, there is no limit to the type of ingredients you can use.

So - please join in during October and post a description and/or photo of your dish. If you wish to include a recipe please post it as new thread, tag it cookingbites dish of the month & link back to this thread. PM me (or another moderator) if you need help to do this.

Last edited:
One I made a week or so ago, does that count?

Russ

Could this beef hotpot be considered "gratin"?

My professional training says this is a bake because it has only potatoes and not cheese or sauce on top, a gratin is officially a dish topped with cheese/or sauce and put in the oven. So the difference is the topping according to my book with cooking lessons.

My professional training says this is a bake because it has only potatoes and not cheese or sauce on top, a gratin is officially a dish topped with cheese/or sauce and put in the oven. So the difference is the topping according to my book with cooking lessons.

There was only butter on the top of the potatoes.

And pepper.

A gratin is officially a dish topped with cheese/or sauce and put in the oven. So the difference is the topping according to my book with cooking lessons.

The word gratin is often used to mean that but in fact it is a broader term. This is from Larousse Gastranomique (ed.) (2003) The Concise Larousse Gastronomique London:

Gratin is a widespread culinary technique in which an ingredient is topped with a browned crust, often using breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg or butter.

It can also refer to layered dishes cooked in the oven such as Gratin Dauphinoise.

Given that we have no easy access to lobster or caviar (and if we did it would be beyond my pay grade) and I've never seen banana shallots, I cannot imagine that I shall be including this as my dish of the month.

:rolleyes:

I didn't think you would - I was just providing an example of the versatility of a gratin dish. I suppose you don't get Thai lobsters?

Back
Top Bottom