CookingBites dish of the month (October/November 2022): fondue

Now I have to ask: who here has a fondue set? You can post photos if you do. But how do you serve fondue if (like me) you don't have one?
I've been using my slow cooker, I have a small pot shaped one. But I was intending to buy a fondue set, so I am now set out to get one.

I've been using my slow cooker, I have a small pot shaped one. But I was intending to buy a fondue set, so I am now set out to get one.
I have one and am not happy with it.
I may buy a single burner hot plate.

You’ve all seen my fondue set in action here many times, so here it is deconstructed and ready to go:

It’s a Swissmar set, and I think I paid $80US for it a dozen or more years ago. One of the best purchases I ever made.

I had two, kept the electric (Cuisinart) and gave the Sterno one to my daughter as a moving-out present. She uses hers for hotpot.

My wife's fondue was reference quality, so I have a lot to live up to when I do my first batch of the fall next week. Her secrets: Alpage cheese and some citric acid to boost the curdle-preventive properties of the white wine. My fingers crossed, wish me luck!

But how do you serve fondue if (like me) you don't have one?
I'm posting this recipe for two reason, Morning Glory:

1. Because you asked the question above and,
2. I know your love of using the microwave!

Quick Fondue with Pesto

This one is from Jacques Pepin, and I've actually made it, and I can say, don't let the speed and simplicity of this fondue fool you - it's very good! I will say, it doesn't come together quite as smoothly as a cooktop fondue, there's still some separation, but if you don't mind it looking a little...soupy, it tastes just fine, with virtually none of the effort of making a "traditional" fondue (rubbing the pot with garlic, tossing shredded cheese in cornstarch, etc) - chuck it all in a microwave-safe bowl, zap it for a couple of minutes, give it a good stir, and you're done.

I'll add this: there's a video on YT of Pepin making this. Unfortunately, it's in a three-minute segment on the Rachael Ray show. Now, there's annoying Rachael, and then there's the Rachael in this particular segment, which is like annoying at warp factor 10. It's three minutes, and I love JP, but it took me two sessions to get through it, because I couldn't take her for a solid three minutes straight through. Just to give you an idea, when he stirs the pesto into the melted cheese, she bellows, "OMG!!! IT'S LIKE I'M WATCHING FOOD HAVE SEX!!!" - she also marvels at JP's ability to work a microwave. :facepalm: JP endures it like the gentleman he is, though.

Quick Fondue with Pesto

This one is from Jacques Pepin, and I've actually made it, and I can say, don't let the speed and simplicity of this fondue fool you - it's very good! I will say, it doesn't come together quite as smoothly as a cooktop fondue, there's still some separation, but if you don't mind it looking a little...soupy, it tastes just fine, with virtually none of the effort of making a "traditional" fondue (rubbing the pot with garlic, tossing shredded cheese in cornstarch, etc) - chuck it all in a microwave-safe bowl, zap it for a couple of minutes, give it a good stir, and you're done.

I'll add this: there's a video on YT of Pepin making this. Unfortunately, it's in a three-minute segment on the Rachael Ray show. Now, there's annoying Rachael, and then there's the Rachael in this particular segment, which is like annoying at warp factor 10. It's three minutes, and I love JP, but it took me two sessions to get through it, because I couldn't take her for a solid three minutes straight through. Just to give you an idea, when he stirs the pesto into the melted cheese, she bellows, "OMG!!! IT'S LIKE I'M WATCHING FOOD HAVE SEX!!!" - she also marvels at JP's ability to work a microwave. :facepalm: JP endures it like the gentleman he is, though.

I'm all on board with the microwave version! Thanks.

I love cheese but never made fondue. Is it hard? It seems just like a mornay sauce to me, but I have no clue. I assume it's good because I love cheese.

Quick Fondue with Pesto

Then I don't stand a chance with that video because I absolutely despise Rachel Ray. She is one of these fakest sellouts I can think of, with the possible exception for Ellen. (omg). I hear both of them are very mean when the camera are off.

I love cheese but never made fondue. Is it hard? It seems just like a mornay sauce to me, but I have no clue. I assume it's good because I love cheese.
It’s pretty easy, but it differs from a usual mornay sauce.

The rough outline I follow is to rub some garlic in the pot, add wine, lemon juice, get it simmering, then add in handfuls of shredded cheese that’s been tossed in cornstarch.

Stir, stir, stir. After it melts, stir in some kirsch, a little dry mustard, and a little nutmeg, and that’s about it. Transfer it to the tabletop burner and start dipping!

Then I don't stand a chance with that video because I absolutely despise Rachel Ray.
You should hate-watch it, just for fun. Just like how I eat at White Castle once a year to remind myself why I don’t eat there more often, you should occasionally watch some RR to keep the hate-fire stoked. :laugh:

You should hate-watch it, just for fun. Just like how I eat at White Castle once a year to remind myself why I don’t eat there more often, you should occasionally watch some RR to keep the hate-fire stoked. :laugh:
The first time I heard her refer to extra virgin olive oil as "EVOO" my fires were stoked, 20 years and going strong. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom