CookingBites dish of the month (October/November 2022): fondue

I'm guilty as charged. I bought a fondue set. I've never cooked a fondue (to date) and am I really likely to do so in the future enough to warrant this purchase? It was late at night, it was on sale and its red cast iron with pretty forks. Its a bit like the one in the feature photo. I managed to convince myself that the pot itself could be used for other things...

Now I simply have to make fondue, don't I?

I'm guilty as charged. I bought a fondue set. I've never cooked a fondue (to date) and am I really likely to do so in the future enough to warrant this purchase? It was late at night, it was on sale and its red cast iron with pretty forks. Its a bit like the one in the feature photo. I managed to convince myself that the pot itself could be used for other things...

Now I simply have to make fondue, don't I?
Congrats! Do you have pics or a link to the one you bought?

Congrats! Do you have pics or a link to the one you bought?
Cast Iron Fondue Set Red 6 Person | All Cast Iron Cookware from ProCook

£27 which is a bargain for cast iron. This is what I'm telling myself.

1665685642717.png

Its now dawning on me that taking good fondue photos will be very difficult.

Morning Glory I like fondue the simple way, a mix of pork and beef meat, season with salt and pepper, heat oil in the fondue and cook the meat in it. You can compliment the meat with any sauces of your choice.

In my family and group of friends fondue is seen as an entire social event. We cook it in the way described above, and spend a couple of hours at the table cooking our meat in turns, chatting and eating. You could easily spend an entire afternoon at the table eating fondue and chatting. The entire fun is the social aspect of it.

Btw I personally have an electric fondue (mine looks like these), which I find much easier and safer to use. My family had a tradition of doing fondue get togethers at my grandma's using her fondue set that ran on oil, and we stopped when my siblings and cousins were born because we thought it was unsafe to keep something with a open flame on a table with children around.
1665754330719.png

Last edited:
I'm guilty as charged. I bought a fondue set. I've never cooked a fondue (to date) and am I really likely to do so in the future enough to warrant this purchase?
Tell you what - fondue is fun. Fun, and easy. I really don´t understand why people don´t make fondue more often - especially me!

Tell you what - fondue is fun. Fun, and easy. I really don´t understand why people don´t make fondue more often - especially me!

Like Lissa said, fondue is a social event as much as a meal. I don't fondue more often because I live alone, and my friends are now spread out all over the country.

CD

Back
Top Bottom