CookingBites dish of the month (September 2022): stuffed peppers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:52 AM
'Dish of the month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive and there is no need to post the recipe unless you want to. This month 'stuffed peppers' has been chosen. So, its over to you to cook your finest stuffed peppers and post the results in this thread. Innovation is positively encouraged. Peppers includes chillies, so feel free to bring on the heat.

I love stuffing peppers (and other foods.

Last night I made Cubano peppers stuffed with shrimp, shiitake mushrooms and capers, seasoned with paprika and lemon juice. Very tasty, I thought.

cubano-jpg.jpg

I am eyeing two potentialities... and I had bought some of the peppers in hopes of stuffing them, even before this was determined to be the dish of the month.

One is vegan, and the other would-be lamb heavy. Both would be either Greek or general Middle Eastern in overall presentation. I am missing one ingredient for the vegan idea I have in mind. Tomorrow, an early morning shopping expedition?

I love stuffing food into other food... Perhaps I would have been a natural cook back in the Renaissance, with their "four and twenty blackbirds" stuffed into a pie... (well, maybe not so much that!)

I love stuffing food into other food... Perhaps I would have been a natural cook back in the Renaissance, with their "four and twenty blackbirds" stuffed into a pie... (well, maybe not so much that!)
I used to watch a cooking show where they’d recreate documented menus from ages past, and the stuff they’d stuff into other stuff…so much stuffing going on! It was truly entertaining to watch it being prepared, and even more entertaining watching modern diners eating it!

Sloppy joe-stuffed peppers:

I’d bought a can of sloppy joe mix, a new one to me, so I used that, and the stuffing is equal parts lean ground beef, ground turkey, and finely diced mushrooms, with a little cheese melted on top.

MrsT doesn’t like traditional sloppy joes, but she liked these quite a bit.

Sloppy joe-stuffed peppers:

View attachment 89877

View attachment 89878
View attachment 89879

I’d bought a can of sloppy joe mix, a new one to me, so I used that, and the stuffing is equal parts lean ground beef, ground turkey, and finely diced mushrooms, with a little cheese melted on top.

MrsT doesn’t like traditional sloppy joes, but she liked these quite a bit.
GENIUS!!!
I'm stealing this, I was just thinking about Sloppy Joe's in fact.

TastyReuben did you put a bit of water in the bottom of the baking dish?
Instructions please, DH just it a thumbs up
Yeah, it’s what I usually do when I stuff peppers - that was about 1/4 cup of beef broth in the baking dish, then covered tightly with foil and into a 400F oven for about 45 minutes.

I stuffed a capsicum with chilli con carne but wasn't impressed.

And I tried potato and cheese mixture in fresno chillis but again wasn't impressed.

I'll need to think of something else.

There are still many kinds of capsicum varieties out there, many of them chilis. I'm sure you can come up with something.

CD

There are still many kinds of capsicum varieties out there, many of them chilis. I'm sure you can come up with something.

CD

I had some cayennes left over from a salsa but I pickled some and froze the rest whole so they're a bit squidgy.

Last time that we bought cayennes only Makro had them and in packs of ½kg (about 20 chillis). We'll keep a look out in the other stores (our markets only carry Thai chillis, prik kee noo and sometimes fresnos).

Last edited:
I had some cayennes left over from a salsa but I pickled some and froze the rest whole so they're a bit squidgy.

Last time that we bought cayennes only Makro had them and in packs of ½kg (about 20 chillis). We'll keep a look out in the other stores (our markets only carry Thai chillis, prik kee noo and sometimes fresnos).

I didn't grow any chilis this year, and I usually grow at least two cayenne plants. I always have too many, so I freeze them at the end of the season. When I thaw them out, they are soft, but that's fine for cooking use.

CD

Back
Top Bottom