CookingBites dish of the month (September 2022): stuffed peppers

I didn't grow any chilis this year, and I usually grow at least two cayenne plants. I always have too many, so I freeze them at the end of the season. When I thaw them out, they are soft, but that's fine for cooking use.

CD

This year was the first time that I've frozen cayennes (we usually buy only what we need). I vacuum packed them whole without slitting and the first pack that I opened were OK, although squidgy. Do you vacuum pack yours for freezing? And if so, do you slit them?

This year was the first time that I've frozen cayennes (we usually buy only what we need). I vacuum packed them whole without slitting and the first pack that I opened were OK, although squidgy. Do you vacuum pack yours for freezing? And if so, do you slit them?

I do vacuum pack them, I do not slit them, but I do freeze them first, then vacuum seal them, so they are hard as rocks when the vacuum kicks in. It only takes about 30 minutes to pre-freeze them, but timing isn't critical, as long as you don't leave them in the freezer for days. A couple hours, no problem.

They still come out soft when I defrost them. But, I only use them to cook with, so they were going to soften up with cooking, anyway.

CD

I just put my chiles in a ziploc to freeze them, and just like you two, only use them for cooking.

In years past, before this year's scorching heat and drought in Texas, this was the time of year that my pepper plants produced the most, and the hottest chilis. I would give a lot of them to friends, but still had enough to freeze, or with my jalapeños, dry them in the smoker to make chipotles.

CD

Yeah, it’s what I usually do when I stuff peppers - that was about 1/4 cup of beef broth in the baking dish, then covered tightly with foil and into a 400F oven for about 45 minutes.
Copy Me That! done.
Curious, how many WW points was that for MrsT?

Copy Me That! done.
Curious, how many WW points was that for MrsT?
The stuffing was 10 points (96% lean ground beef and 93% lean ground turkey are the same points for her, so all beef from now on), but she got three points knocked off for the pepper, mushroom, and cauliflower on the side, so 7 points net, which was higher than she wanted, so I caught it for adding cheese. :laugh:

She cracks me up, because she’ll sit there and talk and talk about how she’s going to stop worrying about points and she’s going to make sure she eats all her points and even dip into her cheat points, and 10 minutes later, adding everything up, she blows her top because “I’ve only got three points left!” :laugh:

I made these (as pictured) a few years ago on my channel. Capsicums (bell peppers) stuffed with beef mince with rice and herbs, which I called Greek style.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xDFMJklpc

Last edited:
I just got my bacon-wrapped shrimp and cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers in the oven, I'll be writing up the recipe later for the challenge and I'll update this post with the after photo.

In case you were wondering, I render the bacon a bit before wrapping to avoid a greasy pool of fat.

Last edited:
bell-served.jpg

Next time I think I will brown the onion. It was very good... but I preferred the Cubanelle one better. Or whatever that pepper was called!

I do plan on doing the vegan one sometime this next week - which will be very Greek-influenced.

Further down the road ideas: stuffed jalapeños with something cool inside; stuffed baby bell peppers with something hot inside...

Oh my word those red jalapeños were hot! I served the poppers on a small salad of just greens and tomatoes from the garden with a drizzle of balsamic for a cooling factor. Super flavorful and delicious, as always. I had a green one and a red one. The green had a little kick but nothing compared to those red ones, lol!

Back
Top Bottom