CookingBites Dish of the Month (September): Pancakes & Waffles

That's the syrup. Cooking the blueberries in the maple syrup, they burst and color it, and when just a little of it is on the waffle, it gets a blue-green look. If there were more there, it'd look more purpley.

Hmm - this could be a useful trick for naturally colouring something... Its strange though 'cos the juice on the plate is red.

Pancakes are UK style here and usually savoury
My pancakes are always sweet!

Are pikelets, scotch pancakes, crumpets and similar included? Staffordshire oatcakes? La Socca? Or dosa of any kind? Inerja (not sure I've spelt thay correctly).
I ask because they are all very similar to pancakes.

I also ask because I've made a promise to make crumpets. Pikelets or scotch pancakes often happen and I do need to make up a batch of Staffordshire oatcakes. Things like la socca (French chickpea flour pancakes) sometimes feature on our menu as well but I'm out of gram flour right now so only have chickpea flour.

I've also made those fermented rice pancakes in tbe past. It's not something I'd make again in a rush. They have a curious smell to them. Not pleasant!

My pancakes are always sweet!

I'm really surprised that you don't make savoury filled pancakes - a perfect vegan with eggs main course. Wrap them round a filling (spinach is good) and bake in a tomato or vegan cheese sauce (or other savoury sauce) in the oven. I'm planning something of that sort.

I suppose any of the things you mention are types of pancakes - though I'm not sure I'd say a crumpet was a pancake. But as this isn't a competition I reckon anything anyone thinks is a pancake goes!

I'm really surprised that you don't make savoury filled pancakes - a perfect vegan with eggs main course. Wrap them round a filling (spinach is good) and bake in a tomato or vegan cheese sauce (or other savoury sauce) in the oven. I'm planning something of that sort.

I suppose any of the things you mention are types of pancakes - though I'm not sure I'd say a crumpet was a pancake. But as this isn't a competition I reckon anything anyone thinks is a pancake goes!
My thoughts were that the Indian rice pancake was fermented... The crumpets and Staffordshire oatcakes both take yeast and time to rise. And whilst I know oatcakes were developed as a British chapatti, (and generally only filled with savoury fillings which is probably why pancakes here are only sweet fillings) they are flat and pancake like. Stretching life a touch further crumpets are very similar to oatcakes, just thicker and similar to pikelets.

Last edited:
My thoughts were that the Indian rice pancake was fermented... The crumpets and Staffordshire oatcakes both take yeast and time to rise. And whilst I know oatcakes were developed as a British chapatti, (and generally only filled with savoury fillings which is probably why pancakes here are only sweet fillings) they are flat and pancake like. Striving life a touch further crumpets are very similar to oatcakes, just thicker and similar to pikelets.

I always though Staffordshire oatcakes were usually served savoury

Staffordshire_oatcake_breakfast.jpg

One popular myth links the origin of the oatcake to the times of British Colonial India - that the oatcake is a distant cousin of the flat breads/poppadoms of the Asian subcontinent.

Some claim that local soldiers took such a liking to poppadoms so much that they tried to emulate them on their return to Staffordshire. Of course, they had to use local ingredients and the oatcake was the result!

However, other historical evidence dates the humble oatcake much earlier. There are in fact records as early as the 17th Century of the oatcake in Staffordshire and other central and northern counties of England
Source BBC: .local_heroes_oatcake_intro_feature.shtml

See also: oatcake_shop_feature.shtml

I wonder if there are any oatcake shops left? The article was written in 2014...

I never prepare pancakes even if I like them, but now I want to try to make them.
I am much more familiar with both savory and sweet crepes, it will be nice to make them again since I haven't prepared them for a while
@morning glory Can I also repost a recipe (and photo) of crepes that I had already posted on CB long ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
I prepared these crepes in October or maybe November last year. Chestnut flour is a flour that I often use for both sweet and savory crepes.
I should still have it in the pantry. But now I dedicate myself to pancakes, let's see what I do.

Chestnut Crêpes with Ricotta + Persimmon Cream

View attachment 31609

What a lovely photo - you are lucky to be able to obtain chestnut flour. I understand that it is seasonal and may become stale if kept. But I'm not sure. I just remembered hat from somewhere. I'm now wondering if I have some in my store cupboard. If I do it will be rather old...

... just realised that the link you posted is not working. I tried searching for your recipe on the forum but I've drawn a blank - although I'm sure I remember it. :scratchhead:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom