CookingBites Dish of the Month (September): Pancakes & Waffles

What a lovely photo - you are lucky to be able to obtain chestnut flour. I understand that it is seasonal and may become stale if kept. But I'm not sure. I just remembered hat from somewhere. I'm now wondering if I have some in my store cupboard. If I do it will be rather old...

... just realised that the link you posted is not working. I tried searching for your recipe on the forum but I've drawn a blank - although I'm sure I remember it. :scratchhead:

Thank you
Just checked in the pantry and yes, I still have it! And the thing that struck me is that it hasn't expired yet (October 2019) ... I didn't imagine it would last that long. I'll find out if it's still good just by trying it soon.

Ops, link doesn't work? The recipe is in the Sweets and Desserts thread :scratchhead:
20190905_221800.jpg
20190905_221821.jpg

Ladies, if you have room, keep flours you don't use often in plastic bags in the freezer. They won't go stale that way.

Ladies, if you have room, keep flours you don't use often in plastic bags in the freezer. They won't go stale that way.

Thank you so much for this advice, very useful as I have a few leftover flours..I don't know if I'm still in time with chestnut flour though ... the last time I used it was in January of this year I think

Thank you so much for this advice, very useful as I have a few leftover flours..I don't know if I'm still in time with chestnut flour though ... the last time I used it was in January of this year I think

I just found my chestnut flour - unopened from 2015! :oops:

I will need to try it out...

I just found my chestnut flour - unopened from 2015! :oops:

I will need to try it out...

I'd smell it first. You can usually smell the staleness. I went ahead and made pasta using some stale smelling semolina once, blechk... out it went.

Here's another savory pancake take - vegetarian, and up SatNav's alley as there's no dairy but there's a home-laid egg.

Savory Korean Pancakes - made just this morning, for breakfast before I went out all day.

It's actually one BIG pancake to serve to two -- although I managed to eat all of it, knowing that the day would be busy. The photo below shows a little over half of it (it broke up during flipping, but hey...) It comes with its own savory dipping/spooning sauce. And I quickly abandoned the chopsticks for a fork in this case.

korean-serve-2-w.jpg

When the weather is sub-zero outdoors, I haul my flours and other relevant grains outside overnight for about three days. Kills eggs of bugs that somehow like to infest my grains. I transfer them to sealable containers once anything is opened. If you live somewhere where it never gets sub zero - yes, the freezer works fine, but until recently I didn't have enough freezer space to use that for long term grain storage.

One advantage of having both chickens and a lemon tree is thai no planning is needed for pancakes. Pancakes in this household come with lemons and sugar by default. It's a quick and easy meal and never every turned down!

Pancake 1 is a little anaemic, the griddle was still coming up to temperature.
20190907_191104.jpg

Pancake 2 a little over done but not actually burnt.
20190907_191143.jpg

The choice of lemons and sugar, half a lemon per pancake.
20190907_191220.jpg

Pancake 3. Last one for me, I'm full, but it's spot on. Hubby had 5...
20190907_191005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom