Coriander (cilantro) and other green herbs

I don't think I have ever seen a chervil plant for sale (or seeds for that matter),

Chervil is not on sale in supermarkets here either yet often appears in 'high end dining' recipes. I planted some last year and its brilliant. To my delight it is completely hardy and can be picked throughout the year. There aren't many (any other?) soft green herbs which can be picked throughout cold winters.

It has a faint aniseed flavour.

Chervil is not on sale in supermarkets here either yet often appears in 'high end dining' recipes. I planted some last year and its brilliant. To my delight it is completely hardy and can be picked throughout the year. There aren't many (any other?) soft green herbs which can be picked throughout cold winters.

It has a faint aniseed flavour.

I get the feeling that dried chervil loses something that the fresh retains.

Never thought that exists! Just read it. Wow. But, I mean, ok, it is fine, one does not eat it and all good.

Coriander tasting like 'soap' to some is genetically inherited I heard. Coriander (cilantro) is the most popular herb in the UK. This chart is 6 years ago but I think it probably still holds true.

Coriander tasting like 'soap' to some is genetically inherited I heard. Coriander (cilantro) is the most popular herb in the UK. This chart is 6 years ago but I think it probably still holds true.

View attachment 59933

Cilantro (coriander leaves) are very popular in Texas, due to the Mexican influence on our foods.

The two herbs I use the most are rosemary and basil.

CD

The herbs I use the most are parsley and chives, followed by thyme and basil.

Parsley and chives are used a lot as a finishing herb/garnish, and thyme much more for cooking. Basil does double-duty. :)

Wow, amazing! This is a discovery for me, just googled it, it is pretty high of a plant, up to 2 m high, and strongly scented...the leaves look very much like celery leaves, would you agree? Is lovage traditionally used in your family? Or in your area?

I had to do a web search on lovage. It is something we don't have in the US.

CD

Herbs used right, either undertoning the other flavors or as the dominant flavor are always great. One day I've found a german cookbook about herbs that you have to gather and all of the pictures are looking wonderful and I bet they are yummy. Sadly... the work to gather all the ingredients is to much for me right now, but I like the idea to gather herbs or mushrooms one day.
Stay healthy

Chervil, like cilantro is a soft spice, but still contributes to flavor. Chervil is highly prized, mostly in France and you should google for usage. I have only used it once and I believe that one time was part of a salad dressing.

I should use it more often.

Yes, it would be nice to get some fresh. But I haven't seen that. I ordered what I have online.

I just googled it; I will be on the lookout for fresh chervil. I like this description:

Chervil's name is derived from the Greek chaerophyllon, meaning the herb of rejoicing or, less reverentially, the happy herb.

Back
Top Bottom