Local time
8:52 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
[Mod.Edit: this post and following few moved to form new topic]

My Brunch

IMG_1585.JPG

Stopped into our local Carniceria for a nosh and also picked up a small container of Guacamole and a pound of what they called Ranchera, there was a handmade sign "Sirloin Flap". The butcher asked me if I wanted it marinated, I said no thank you as I want to try my hand a new recipe I found.
I'd bet you that there's a good 1/4 pound of Steak there under all of those Onions and Cilantro.
Funny, I like Cilantro/Coriander here in Cowboyville, but couldn't stand the soap taste when I lived in Hawaii, but in Hawaii it's called Chinese Parsley, go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, I like Cilantro/Coriander here in Cowboyville, but couldn't stand the soap taste when I lived in Hawaii, but in Hawaii it's called Chinese Parsley, go figure.
I wonder if it's something to do with hothouse grown as opposed to natural soil, or if it's the actual variety, or if it's soil composition?

My oldest brother hates it and says all of it tastes like soap. I think caseydog is the same way. I love it and I love it all!

wonder if it's something to do with hothouse grown as opposed to natural soil, or if it's the actual variety, or if it's soil composition?

My oldest brother hates it and says all of it tastes like soap. I think @caseydog is the same way. I love it and I love it all!
I thought it was genetics that caused some people to taste soap in coriander.

I know it is the case for those whose urine changes odour when they eat asparagus.

I thought it was genetics that caused some people to taste soap in coriander.

I know it is the case for those whose urine changes odour when they eat asparagus.
I dont know. kaneohegirlinaz says she didn't like it in Hawaii but likes it in Arizona.

Every single person I know has stinky pee after eating asparagus, at least the 20+ people I've discussed it with!

My MIL went to an awards banquet that served a choice of salmon or chicken with asparagus as a side dish (not sure if they had an option for vegetarians). She said the smell in the women's restroom after dinner was unbearable!

Every single person I know has stinky pee after eating asparagus, at least the 20+ people I've discussed it with!
My husband doesn't, nor does any of his family and I'm the only one in my family... But i do know for a fact that with asparagus it is all down to genes and evolution. (The smell is not evolving iirc)

I dont know. @kaneohegirlinaz says she didn't like it in Hawaii but likes it in Arizona.
Best guess on that front is genetics and a variety of coriander not being as potent as 'full' coriander. I would imagine someone somewhere is working towards a coriander that doesn't taste soapy to those affected.

My husband doesn't, nor does any of his family and I'm the only one in my family... But i do know for a fact that with asparagus it is all down to genes and evolution. (The smell is not evolving iirc)
I believe you, I'm just saying that the people I know (not related to me) have stinky pee from asparagus, at least the ones I'm comfortable enough to discuss!

I believe you, I'm just saying that the people I know (not related to me) have stinky pee from asparagus, at least the ones I'm comfortable enough to discuss!
This is an interesting article (I can feel a new thread coming on)... It suggests that it is actually the ability to smell the sulphur in the urine that's the genetic bit rather than the production of the sulphurous compounds

Ability to smell 'asparagus pee' driven by genetic variations

After eating asparagus, MrsT
Is not afflicted with stinky pee.
As to me, eating just a dash
And it will exit my body smelling garden fresh!

After eating asparagus, MrsT
Is not afflicted with stinky pee.
As to me, eating just a dash
And it will leave my body smelling garden fresh!
Yep, same here almost as soon as I've eaten it yet I never smell it in hubby's urine k small bathroom and we only flush when necessary (after asparagus is absolutely necessary though).... New thread? Lol

Yep, same here almost as soon as I've eaten it yet I never smell it in hubby's urine k small bathroom and we only flush when necessary (after asparagus is absolutely necessary though).... New thread? Lol
Maybe a broader title might work.

We all love asparagus but wife doesn't like coriander/cilantro at all. EXCEPT in my thai salad I make. It has lots coriander and basil I'm it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom