Coriander tasting of soap/asaragus pee and so on

It might just be my perception, but I find when it´s actually cooked (rather than added raw) it mellows a bit. Doesn´t matter for me, because I´ll eat it any way, but it might affect how others taste it.

It might just be my perception, but I find when it´s actually cooked (rather than added raw) it mellows a bit. Doesn´t matter for me, because I´ll eat it any way, but it might affect how others taste it.

Presume you are referring to coriander? If so, I agree. Its interesting adding it to curry and cooking it in, rather than using fresh leaves over the top as a garnish. In fact, I have some frozen chopped coriander (supermarket bought) which is great added to curried dishes.

Presume you are referring to coriander? If so, I agree. Its interesting adding it to curry and cooking it in, rather than using fresh leaves over the top as a garnish. In fact, I have some frozen chopped coriander (supermarket bought) which is great added to curried dishes.
It also seems to lessen in intensity when stirred into a dish at the end, like adding it to fried rice or Mexican foods. I generally don't like it cooked since everything that's green changes to a dull green when cooked, and I dislike how it looks.

Just to be clear, in many countries coriander and cilantro are the same thing -- it seems especially in British Colonial countries.

In the US, coriander refers to the seeds, while cilantro refers to the leaves.

That matters because, even though cilantro (leaves) have that soap taste to me, I don't notice it in foods that use coriander seeds. I don't know why.

CD

Just to be clear, in many countries coriander and cilantro are the same thing -- it seems especially in British Colonial countries.

In the US, coriander refers to the seeds, while cilantro refers to the leaves.

That matters because, even though cilantro (leaves) have that soap taste to me, I don't notice it in foods that use coriander seeds. I don't know why.

CD
The seeds don't taste like the leaves at all!

Coriander is sold as coriander here in the UK. If you want the herb, you buy "coriander" in the supermarkets. If you want the spice, it´ll be ground coriander or coriander seeds. Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander.
Coriander seeds (especially if you toast them very lightly before grinding them) have a distinctly citrus/orangey flavour.
Coriander root is yet another flavour, veering towards lemon/lime.
The coriander plant is one of the few which can be completely consumed (leaves, seeds, root) and has 3 distinct flavours.

Back
Top Bottom