Recipe Corn soup with corny hushpuppies

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:35 AM
We haven't made this in almost 12 years and I don't know why because we saved the newspaper page it was on so we must have liked it. I guess it got lost in our never ending experiments with new recipes. I found it when looking for the Chipotle chicken recipe for JASOH1 , so thanks for asking for it.

It's even good for vegetarians as long as they eat eggs, though an egg substitute could be used.

Corn soup with corny hushpuppy garnish
Makes 6-8 servings

Fresh sweet white corn, 10-12 ears, about 8 cups
1 cup white wine
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 cups sliced yellow onion (about 1 large)
Kosher salt to taste
White pepper to taste

Corny hushpuppies for garnish (recipe below)

Shuck corn, clean off as much silk as possible, and cut kernels off corn, using a knife held at a slight angle. Scrape cobs with back of knife. Reserve the cobs. Set corn kernels aside.

Place the cobs (use the ones from the hushpuppies too), white wine and thyme in a stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for about an hour.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large Dutch oven type pot. Add onions and a good pinch each of salt and white pepper, and cook over low heat for 30-45 minutes until very tender, stirring occasionally. Do not brown. Add corn kernels and scrapings and continue to cook gently for another 30 minutes, adding some of the stock if pan begins to get too dry.

Pour corn stock through a fine-mesh colander into a sauce pan. Discard the solids.

Spoon about 1/3 of the onion/corn mixture and some of the stock into a blender or food processor and puree, pour into a large saucepan. Continue to do this in batches until all of the onion/corn mixture is used up. Add additional stock (or water if you run out of stock, you could also use some chicken stock) until you reach the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature or reheat as desired. Garnish with several of the Corny hushpuppies.

Corny Hushpuppies

2 ears fresh sweet corn
1-1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 medium onion, diced fine
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp finely minced chives

Oil for frying

Cut the kernels off as above and scrape. Use the cobs for the stock above.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn kernels and cook over low to medium low about 30 minutes or until tender. Cool.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne. Stir in milk and egg, and mix until smooth. Add chives and the cooled corn mixture, mix to combine.

Pour oil into a deep pot to a depth of about 2-3 inches, and heat to 350 on a frying or candy thermometer. Drop 1/2 teaspoonfuls of batter into the hot oil, turning them over frequently until they are crisp and puffy. Do not overcrowd the pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Its interesting to me that you use the cobs here to make stock. I've not seen that before. How much of a corn taste do you get from them?

A good bit. I've seen it in quite a few recipes that use fresh corn and require stock.

Back
Top Bottom