Local time
5:29 PM
Country Potato Soup
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
8 slices lean bacon
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes (about 3 cups)
2-1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup milk
1 TBsp Worcestershire sauce
2 TBsp finely minced fresh parsley

Directions
Chop the bacon coarsely. In a deep soup kettle, sauté the bacon, celery, and onion over medium heat until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, water, and seasonings; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes slightly-about 1/4 of the cubes should still be whole. Remove the bay leaf. Add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley, and bring again to a boil. Serve hot.

Recipe from "Cooking From Quilt Country," by Marcia Adams.

Last edited:
Country Potato Soup
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
8 slices lean bacon
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes (about 3 cups)
2-1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup milk
1 TBsp Worcestershire sauce
2 TBsp finely minced fresh parsley

Directions
Chop the bacon coarsely. In a deep soup kettle, sauté the bacon, celery, and onion over medium heat until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, water, and seasonings; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes slightly-about 1/4 of the cubes should still be whole. Remove the bay leaf. Add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley, and bring again to a boil. Serve hot.

Recipe from "Cooking From Quilt Country," by Marcia Adams.

I just mentioned this to my wife thinking she would hate it. To my surprise she said her friend from years ago used to make it, and she absolutely loved it. I read your ingredients out, she wants me to make this.
Thanks.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom