Recipe Courgette 'baba ganoush' with yoghurt flatbread

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:34 AM
This is similar to the classic Baba Ganoush we know and love but using courgettes (zucchini) instead of aubergine (eggplant). This recipe is great if you have a glut of large courgettes since they are the ones you need here. Cumin and ground black cardamon add an aromatic taste to this smoky garlicky dip. I prefer it served at room temperature but you can chill it if you prefer. It will keep in the fridge for at least 4 days.

Ingredients (serves 2)
For the dip and topping:

2 large courgettes (approx. 225g)
2 large cloves of garlic
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground black cardamon
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tbsp tahini (optional)
Salt to taste
Aleppo (or other red) chilli flakes
1 tbsp vegetable oil (or oil of your choice)
Toasted pine nuts
Slivered pistachio nuts

For the flatbreads (makes 2 medium or one large flatbread)
100g self raising flour
A pinch of salt
3 tbsp yoghurt (or enough to form a soft dough)
Oil to fry

Method:
For the dip:
  1. Heat the oven to 180C and place the whole unpeeled courgettes on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes and then add the whole unpeeled garlic cloves. Continue cooking until the skin of the courgettes blacken and the garlic cloves are soft (approx. 15 mins). Allow to cool.
  2. Split open the courgette and scrape out the flesh with a teaspoon and place in a bowl. The flesh closest to the skin has the best flavour. Charred bits also add flavour.
  3. Squeeze the garlic cloves into the bowl and add the cumin, black cardamon, tahini (if using) and yoghurt. At this point you can either mix and mash with a fork or use a blender to produce a puree. I prefer some texture so I mashed mine.
  4. To make the chilli oil, heat the oil in a pan and add chilli flakes. Heat gently until the oil becomes coloured red.
  5. Serve the dip garnished with chilli oil, pine nuts and pistachio nuts
For the flatbreads:
  1. Add the flour and salt to a bowl. Gradually add the yoghurt until the mixture comes together in a ball (you may not need all the yoghurt). Place the dough on a surface and knead lightly until almost smooth. Cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes.
  2. Divide the dough into two. Roll each ball out on a lightly floured surface to a circular or oval shape. You need to roll them thinly as they will puff up when cooked.
  3. Brush a non-stick frying pan with oil and place over a medium high heat. Add one flatbread and cook until you see bubbles appearing on the top and the base begins to char. Turn the flatbread and cook until the underside bubbles are slightly charred. Repeat with the second flatbread. Brush the flatbreads with oil before serving (optional).

Last edited:
Is your black cardamom commercially ground? Trying to decide if it is ground seeds only or seeds and case because i can only get whole black cardamon here.

Well, I found this ground black cardamon on-line from an Asian supplier, as on-line supermarkets don't stock it. Possibly my local Asian shop stock it as they have a huge range of East End spices but I'm still not going into shops due to Covid.

Previously, like you, all I could find was whole black cardamon. I use the whole a lot and have also tried to grind it myself without success. I thought it would probably be more economical to buy it ready ground for some uses (like this dip). But now I'm using it in/on lots of things (amongst other things as a finishing spice in dals).

The packet doesn't say if its seeds and case. Its quite pale in colour so I think it must be the seeds - but I'm not sure. Here it is:

Back
Top Bottom