1-2 tsps green peppercorns
1 tsp herbes de provence, or similar
Salt to taste
3 eggs, beaten
250 mls ( about 1 cup) fresh milk
1-2 spoonfuls cream
100 gms grated Cheddar

Method
  • Put the flour into a large bowl and add the butter, diced. Add the salt.
  • Mix the butter and flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Work as quickly as possible; this is a pie crust, not a dough.
  • Add a little water and bring the pastry together. Add a little more until the pastry just comes together and is not dry. Wrap with clingfilm (or stick it in a ziploc bag) and put in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, heat a frying pan/skillet on the stove and add the butter.As soon as it melts, add the bacon and the leeks. Fry gently for about 5 minutes.
  • Add the courgettes/zucchini, the peppercorns, the herbs and the salt. Fry for another 4-5 minutes or until the courgettes/zucchini begin to brown. Remove from the heat.
  • Heat the oven to about 400ºF (200 C).
  • Remove the pastry from the freezer and roll out to the shape of your baking dish/quiche dish (no quiche dish here!). Line the dish/pan with the pastry, covering any holes with patches of pastry. No problem.
  • Put the bacon/leek/courgette mixture into the pastry shell and even out. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
  • Mix the eggs with the milk and cream, then pour into the dish. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for about 35 - 40 minutes, until the pastry is browned and the centre of the quiche is not "wet"

Nice! I love the addition of green peppercorns. Are they dried peppercorns or pickled (or perhaps fresh? I'm thinking pickled because otherwise they would need to be crushed?

they´re dried - I couldn´t find pickled. Now that I remember, I soaked them for 30 minutes in boiling water before adding them.
Pickled would definitely be better!

I just adore leeks, I don't know why I don't buy them more
I think it´s one of those ingredients we tend to forget, because big, bossy onions are always on show :happy: :happy:
There´s an absolutely delicious dish called Homity Pie which involves leeks, potatoes, cream and shortcrust pastry...

Back
Top Bottom