Recipe Crab cakes with burnt lime and avocado dressing

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:00 PM
Thai basil adds an aniseed flavour to the crab cakes and works well with the Scotch bonnet which has a slightly fruity taste. Whether you leave the seeds in the chilli is up to you. The burnt lime adds an interesting slightly smokey taste to the creamy avocado dressing.

Ingredients
For the charred lime dressing:
1 lime
1 avocado
1 tbsp mayonnaise or Greek style yoghurt
Salt to taste

For the crab cakes (makes 2 small crab cakes):
120g crab meat
1 small Scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped (approx. ½ tbsp)
½ tbsp finely chopped Thai basil
3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbsp mayonnaise or Greek style yoghurt
Zest of half a lime
Salt, to taste
Flour to coat
Oil to fry

To serve:
Rocket leaves
Charred lime slices
Green herb oil (I used wild garlic oil)

Method
For the burnt lime dressing:
  1. Cut the lime in half and place the cut sides down in a very hot pan. Cook until the cut side is charred almost black. Alternatively, char the cut sides with a blowtorch.
  2. Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl, roughly mash it and add the mayonnaise or yoghurt.
  3. Squeeze the juice from one of the charred lime halves into the bowl and mix. Add juice from the other lime half, to taste. Mix everything together until smooth (I used a stick blender). Add salt to taste.

For the crab cakes:
  1. Place all the ingredients except for the salt, flour and oil in a bowl. Mix well and squeeze the mixture together with your hands. Add salt to taste. Shape into two cakes.
  2. Shake a dusting of flour onto a plate. Carefully coat each crab cake in flour. At this point you can store the crab cakes in a covered container in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
  3. Fry the crab cakes gently in oil for approximately 4 minutes on each side until a light golden brown.
  4. Serve the crab cakes on a bed of rocket leaves. Garnish the plate with charred lime slices and drizzle green herb oil around the platte.

Ok the crab cakes don't work for me, but I can easily see that dressing working with loads of salads. And as always your photography is amazing.

Possibly some 'pea cakes' would work instead of the crab cakes (made either with yellow split peas of green split peas in place of crab) although I'm not sure whether they would bind enough to hold together. I'd omit the yoghurt/mayo in them for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom