Recipe Cranberry crisp with Apples and Walnuts

TodayInTheKitchen

Blitzinator
Local time
2:28 PM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
How about a cranberry sauce recipe that doubles as a dessert? This Walnut CranApple crisp is the ticket. I use 75% less sugar than normal and still deliver a sweet treat. Try some today!

Ingredients
12 oz cranberries
2 apples (peeled and cored)
3 tbsp cane sugar
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vanilla syrup
1 cup orange juice (water is OK)
1 cup packaged granola
1/2 cup walnuts (finely chopped)

Method
  1. Peel and core 2 apples. Cut into bite-sized chunks. Wash the cranberries.
  2. In a sauce pan, add orange juice, 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon. Stir until combined.
  3. Add the cranberries and heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Turn heat to low. Continue to cook and stir until cranberries start to thicken. (about 3-5 minutes) Cook for another 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
  4. In a baking dish, add 2 tbsp cinnamon and vanilla syrup. Add the apple chunks. Top with 1 tbsp of sugar and 1/2 cup of granola. Now, put the cranberry mixture on top of the apples. Top cranberries with 1/2 cup granola and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.

5. Bake in oven at 350 F (175 C) for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
  6. Now comes the choice. Side dish or dessert?
    For side dish
    Cover baking dish and chill for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
    For dessert
    Prior to dessert time, heat in oven for 10 minutes. Serve warm.

Nice - I very nearly made an apple & cranberry crumble as an entry. You beat me to it!
I have to admit that I was bit shocked that no one submitted a cranberry sauce recipe for the challenge.

Actually, I have been making CranApple sauce for Thanksgiving for a few years now. This year I decided to add granola and walnuts and reduce the amount of sugar. My family balked at the tartness but loved the granola and walnuts. Oh well, there is always next year!

Back
Top Bottom