Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
12:33 PM
Crayfish Salad
cra_14.jpg

Serves 3-4| Preparation & cooking time 30-45 min

Ingredients
170-180 g (~2-3 handfuls) precooked crayfish or crab meat (I used canned Procambarus clarkii; red swamp crayfish/Louisiana crawfish tails)​
70 g (~700 ml) mixed greens/sprouts​
250 g (~500 ml) tiny plum tomatoes/cherry tomatoes​
2 eggs​
150 g (~3 nests) egg noodles​
2 tablespoons evoo/macadamia nut oil​

Spice mix
6-8 cloves garlic​
4 teaspoons tomato ketchup​
2 teaspoons Tom Yam paste​
2 tespoons lemongrass paste​
1 teaspoon dried dill​
Zest of 1 lime​
0,5 teaspoon cayenne pepper​
0,5 teaspoon jalapeño flakes​
Salad dressing
Juice of 1 lime​
3 tablespoons evoo​
1 tablespoon maple syrup​
A pinch of black pepper​
____________________________​
Cilantro leaves for garnish.​
Preparation

Boil the eggs (8-10 min), place them under running, cold water and let set in cold water while you prepare the salad. Rinse and drain the greens and halve the tomatoes. Mince the garlic, grate the lime and combine the spice mix in a small bowl. Cook the egg noodles in boiling hot water for ~4 minutes. Mix carefully to loosen the noodle nests. Drain the noodles or lift them from the cooking water with a slotted spoon. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet/frying pan and mix the spice mix and noodles on the pan. Fry on high heat for 3-4 minutes and set aside. Let cool while peeling the eggs and slicing them into quarters. Mix the crayfish or crab meat with the spiced noodles. Mix the salad dressing. Mix the greens, tomatoes, noodle - crayfish meat mix and salad dressing in a bowl. Garnish with eggs and cilantro leaves.

cra_a.png

cra_b.png

Last edited:
Very pretty - your crayfish look like the ones I get and use (small). They are very different from crawfish in the USA which seem very large. And I made a crayfish salad yesterday to enter the challenge so 'snap'!

The two I got are average sizes, the tail is about the size of two fists. I didn't see this before I posted my ones I got.
The ones above look like prawns to me.???
Russ

They are the same as the crayfish I get here. They do look a bit like small prawns but they aren't quite the same. A salad I made...

The two I got are average sizes, the tail is about the size of two fists. I didn't see this before I posted my ones I got.
The ones above look like prawns to me.???
Russ
The species is mentioned in the recipe: Procambarus clarkii. The crayfish is called red swamp crayfish or Louisiana crawfish. More of the species: fao.org
cr.jpg

Procambarus clarkii

Very pretty - your crayfish look like the ones I get and use (small). They are very different from crawfish in the USA which seem very large. And I made a crayfish salad yesterday to enter the challenge so 'snap'!

Crawfish size varies from season to season here. But, the tail meat isn't really any larger than what I'm seeing in the photos on this thread.

CD

The species is mentioned in the recipe: Procambarus clarkii. The crayfish is called red swamp crayfish or Louisiana crawfish. More of the species: fao.org
View attachment 51197
Procambarus clarkii

Crawfish are on my bucket list, kinda like fresh water ones we get here called koura, small but sweet morsels a bit like your pic. Our crays are sea water and big. The biggest I have had was a pack horse size about 2 foot long. I just posted s pic of one I have in my freezer under my thread.

Russ

They are the same as the crayfish I get here. They do look a bit like small prawns but they aren't quite the same. A salad I made...

View attachment 51196
<Sigh>. This is at least the second time I post an almost similar recipe as yours a day - or just hours - before you do (or were supposed to). You have to ignore my posts and post your recipes without deliberation. Recipes have personal twists anyway. Your salad doesn't contain noodles and I don't have e.g. beetroot or green salad in my salad - just sprouts.

Crawfish size varies from season to season here. But, the tail meat isn't really any larger than what I'm seeing in the photos on this thread.

CD

OK - maybe I'm mistaken.
<Sigh>. This is at least the second time I post an almost similar recipe as yours a day - or just hours - before you do (or were supposed to). You have to ignore my posts and post your recipes without deliberation. Recipes have personal twists anyway. Your salad doesn't contain noodles and I don't have e.g. beetroot or green salad in my salad - just sprouts.

Agreed! I am sadly behind on posting up recipes. I cook and take photos but don't write them up. Sorry. Things are a bit tricky at home at the moment. Lately I've got such a backlog that its a chore to write them up. I'll try to address this tomorrow. :okay:

Crawfish are on my bucket list, kinda like fresh water ones we get here called koura, small but sweet morsels a bit like your pic. Our crays are sea water and big. The biggest I have had was a pack horse size about 2 foot long. I just posted s pic of one I have in my freezer under my thread.

Russ
I have seen photos of those massive crayfish online.

Tasmanian Giant Freshwater Crayfish

Back
Top Bottom